First Hatch Here...Having Specific Troubles

ChicknCharm

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Alpine
Hello All!
We are hatching 21 australorp eggs for our first time hatch. We had three groups of seven, two groups under two broody hens and one group in a borrowed LG incubator with fan and egg turner. The first group placed under our first hen hatched out 100% and we were thrilled (Sunday). The next day our second broody was up to hatch and LG incubator eggs the next day. (So, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday...today). Monday many of the eggs under Silkie number 2 hatched except one. Then one pipped in the incubator. I quickly took that pip egg and put it under hen number two so it could have a mama, too. That egg hatched with the other 6 under the hen. Then late Monday, one more pipped and I took it out to put under the mama hen, too (she still had some eggs zipping). Today that second egg had started to zip, I took it out quickly to show my girls and put it right back under the hen. I went to work after lunch. Tonight, I got home and the egg was zipped, almost fully, but the chick was dead.

AND...we are at the end of day 21 and none of the other eggs (5 left) in the LG have even pipped. Two I was not sure of when I candled, but I did hope the rest would make it. Temp has bounced a few times, high and low, but not for long amounts of time, I check it very often and will not leave for work unless it has been constant for a few hours. I check it when we are back at home. I did open it a few times during lock down to listen to the eggs and put the pips under the still hatching hen. I tried to be quick. We are way up in the high desert plains of Texas by Big Bend National park...but I kept humidity at least at 60-65% during lockdown.

Now, I am feeling so awful because I just "had a feeling" about that zipped egg at lunch and almost assisted in removing the shell. Then I thought, no, no, and off to work so I cannot mess with it. I am not sure when the poor baby died.

So...what should I do...just leave those eggs in the incubator be...and there is one more egg under mama hen number two (I have picked it up and hear nothing).

Should I listen to the eggs left in the LG? Just leave it running?

Thanks for your advice, I am learning...and so appreciate help.

Leave your eggs in the bator a few more days. As for the chick that didn't complete hatch..it happens. I know it doesn't make us feel any better, but sometimes it is mother natures way of weeding out the weak. Your hen will leave her nest when she thinks the hatch is done. I would leave her be with whatever she has left. She'll know when it's time to give up.

Is it harmful to open the incubator after lock down? We borrowed this LG and it is flaky. Also, simply because of our geography, I have to add water daily. I did not think about tubing and all the other "tricks" I have found now on the forum. I thought all was fine following the instructions (which were the utube videos online from LG since we did not get the printed ones). I will need to add more water tonight to keep the humidity above 60%, can I open it to do that?...what is worse... opening the bator or having low humidity now that we are at the end of day 21? As I posted earlier, I opened it to get the pips out to give to Mama Hen. I feel so bad, that little chick was just perfect...only missing its peeps and heartbeats. Thanks again!

I would tube the water in or place a good wet clean sponge in there to keep humidity up. Opening it can be as bad as low humidity. Every time you open it, you alter the environment they need steady to complete hatching. This can result in stuck chicks and inability to hatch.

Ok...BUT...I have to open it again to get a sponge in...right? SORRY, I know that is probably an annoying comment, but sincerely made. I don't want to hurt any more could-be chicks. Maybe I should hunt for tubing. Is my best option...to open just one more time and insert sponge? Humidity is right at 60% now, it probably won't last the night at that level. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The sponge will likely hold the humidity better for you if your water wells are drying up to fast. I would go ahead and take the chance. Good luck. I hope more babies hatch for you.

It is holding at a bit above 60% and I have added water through a medical tube. I still see no movement or hear no peeps....end of day 21. Maybe tonight something wonderful will happen. Thank you again!

You're welcome. Good luck!
fl.gif

You can raise humidity if you have to open the incubator by misting the eggs with warm water from a spray bottle. I also put my eggs in paper egg cartons to hatch in and dampen the cartons down. You have to mess with how much to use-everyone's environment is a little different. The egg cartons keep the eggs from getting knocked around by the other chicks.

The second mama hen is now off her nest and that last little egg cold...it feels very light and empty. It may never have been viable as I could not candle all the broody's eggs. She was not happy with my meddling.

We still have 5 in the LG, humidity going at 60%, temp still right on. No pips at all. Two, I am pretty sure candled as "duds"...but I was not 100% sure and left them in.

Should I open any of these to see what is going on? Should I just wait....we are on day 22....can the incubator hatches take longer than the broody hen hatches? Should I candle? OR...just leave it alone for 3 more days?

Thanks a bunch everyone. Hope Wednesday is going well for all the hatchers out there.

We buried our one chick and the dud egg together. *sniff*sniff*

Back
Top Bottom