First Hatch

Duckydos

Chirping
May 8, 2023
I was hoping to get some thoughts from hatching experts out there! I noticed a little crack in the egg this morning around 8am its now 9pm and this is all the progress made. I'm worried about the position of the hole and the fact that the membrane is still intact. Any suggestions? The chick is peeping occasionally and the egg is moving. Today is day 20, incubator at 99.5 and 73% humidity.

Attachments

• Snapchat-116711619.jpg
    Snapchat-116711619.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 68
I was hoping to get some thoughts from hatching experts out there! I noticed a little crack in the egg this morning around 8am its now 9pm and this is all the progress made. I'm worried about the position of the hole and the fact that the membrane is still intact. Any suggestions? The chick is peeping occasionally and the egg is moving. Today is day 20, incubator at 99.5 and 73% humidity.
I can't tell from the picture where the pip is for sure. Is it on the aircell side? Is it a standard or bantam breed?
I wouldn't be too worried just yet because it can be 12 to 24 hours before any further progess might be made.

Edited: I see the pip now and is not likely in the aircell but if it had broken thru it is getting oxygen so that's good and there is no blood. See how it is in the morning and if progress had been made.

Last edited:
It is not uncommon for eggs to pip on day 20.

Also not uncommon to take up to 24 hours after pipping before they start zipping.. they are absorbing the yolk during this time and may nap as well. Once zipping starts.. then it should go fairly fast.

Peeping is good!

My best suggestion.. be patient and happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

It's been like this since 4am this morning. It's been over 24hrs since the first pip. I'm starting to get worried. Any thoughts?

Baby has made a couple more chips at the shell. It's our all peeping regularly?

I still wouldn't be concerned. If today is day 21, it's officially hatch day. As the other person mentioned it takes time to rest up, finish absorbing the yolk fully before joining the world! It so hard to sit on your hands and be patient. But I definitely wouldn't intervene just yet.

It's been like this since 4am this morning. It's been over 24hrs since the first pip. I'm starting to get worried. Any thoughts?
That baby missed the air cell
This means it will need the internal pip time added to the external and zip
I’m not sure time lines on chicks
But have had this happen in duck eggs
Internal pip is 24 hours
External pip is 24-48 hours
So when they miss the air cell and go straight to external pip that time now becomes 48-72 hours
They still need the same time frame ti absorb the yolk to hatch
I know chicks hatch faster then ducks
If any chicken Hatcher’s can jump on and give you times they would help
If nothing has happened by that time frame then you would start to slowly assist
Don’t rush this process
Humidity for hatching should be 65-70 %

Back
Top Bottom