First Hatch

morgan36

Chirping
7 Years
May 13, 2012
Southern Ohio
My clutch of Quail started hatching last Wednesday and are still hatching today out of 19 eggs 12 hatched so far this is my first hatch i am super excited

I will let you know if any more hatch

Nice picture and a great start! As you go along, you'll probably not want to have your water right under the light bulb as the chicks will do best drinking cool water. Of course if the water doesn't get too warm then you're alright... Again, great job!

I just have to know why newly hatched chicks will "do best" with cool water as opposed to warm water, especially when you are trying to maintain around a 95 degree core temperature of those tiny bodies.

I have moved the water ofter I took the pics 26huevos the only advice I can give you is be patient and keep your humidity up out of 19 eggs I have 12 hatch 2 died and the rest didnt hatch so I think that is pretty good for my first time hatching I have 4 chicken eggs set to hatch Monday

I think you're doing great. What I meant to say before is that my quail do best when provided with fresh, cool water that is changed at least twice a day. This is just tap water and I don't do anything to make it cooler than it already is. The temp of the water obviously warms up as a consequence of being in the warm environment of a brooder. I use drown proof waterers so chicks can't get into the water and become chilled.

I wasnt realy prepared for this hatch I have to go buy a few things when I get the money which is tight now days thanks for your advice and thanks everyone for all your comments

Back
Top Bottom