First night in coop

You're not the only one!!

Last night was our girls first night in the new coop I've made in the back of our shed. We are separating out our 3 extra roos and they are getting to stay in the old coop which is smaller, while the girls and tiny Danny get the upgrade. I didn't know that chickens could get that mad about moving!! To top off their indignity we have the new chicks in the front half of the shed where the girls can see/hear them but not reach them. There was some serious screaming and flapping at the door over that!

I thought maybe they would be happier running out in the yard after hearing their grumbling all day. Penny flew over the net fence to go see the boys back at the other coop when my back was turned! So they're all locked back up for a few days until they calm down and realize this is their new home. It's hard not to give in, but Penny ruined it for everyone. If they're not going to behave, they'll just have to stay in!

You're not the only one!!

Last night was our girls first night in the new coop I've made in the back of our shed. We are separating out our 3 extra roos and they are getting to stay in the old coop which is smaller, while the girls and tiny Danny get the upgrade. I didn't know that chickens could get that mad about moving!! To top off their indignity we have the new chicks in the front half of the shed where the girls can see/hear them but not reach them. There was some serious screaming and flapping at the door over that!

I thought maybe they would be happier running out in the yard after hearing their grumbling all day. Penny flew over the net fence to go see the boys back at the other coop when my back was turned! So they're all locked back up for a few days until they calm down and realize this is their new home. It's hard not to give in, but Penny ruined it for everyone. If they're not going to behave, they'll just have to stay in!

Darnit Penny! This is the cutest thing. I feel like some of ours are easy-going and some are certainly the trouble makers. We have a couple of "leaders" which I assume are top of the pecking order - the others get stressed when they can't see or find them and call out. Hoping they're good now and trying not to be stressed. I checked about an hour ago and going back now to see. A little chillier here tonight (for summer) but still about 60 in the coop. I'm sure they're just fine, but last I checked they're all huddled. And they're bantams, so just extra teeny and cold!

I went through this last week. It’s so hard!! I brought them in the first night because I couldn’t handle their cries. The next day I searched this forum for help and someone said to just leave them be in their coop and let them sort things out. I’m so glad I did because every night since has been easier and tonight they actually climbed up their ramp and put themselves to bed. I’m such a proud mommy now! Hang in there!

Our Australorp hen Penny is definitely a leader. She is the largest, now that the Australorp boys are out of the picture. I put Danny, our Silkie rooster, in with the girls so the bigger roos don't bully him. I think she was not impressed with my choice and wanted to be with the larger more impressive boys! She does actually push Danny around a bit, but he's gotten quick being raised with standard breed chicks so I don't worry about him. He actually picks on the 3 Cream Brabanter girls and he seems happy enough with the new setup even if fussy Miss Penny is running the show!

We have air conditioner in the shed, and they're getting plenty of treats which might account for him settling in so fast. The girls are at least coming in to cool down and get snacks (yes I caved again this afternoon) even if they're being vocal about the separation from the roosters and the chick invasion. Nobody hopped the fence today. So I am hoping that they will do better as the days go on.

The plan is to integrate the new pullets with Danny's flock when they're old enough, so I am definitely going to have to go through another adjustment period with these yoyos in 3-4 weeks. Hopefully they will have settled down by then!

I am so glad to see I am not the only one w separation anxiety!!! I have 5 ten week olds that are running the show. This is my first go at chicks and my attempt to have coop ready by week 6 was foiled due to poor planning and a bad coop company😭.

An ordered prefab is on its way so I will be putting them in their condo this weekend fingers crossed!! I’m freaked that they are going to be slaughtered by a raccoon or some other villain. They are currently housed in my garage at night and they go out to a makeshift pen I built for the day. They are literally carried out every morning in a crate to their “play pen.” I am working from home thanks to COVID which prompted me to get them...but I will admit Ive been a bit flat footed not being very knowledgeable.

Good luck to all of you....

It's late for this now, but in case you get/hatch chicks again, or in case anybody else reads this, I want to recommend moving them out younger - much younger (which would require planning/building coop and run in advance and all that, so it's ready). I moved mine out to the coop at 3 weeks old, moved them along with their brooder - placed the brooder in the coop, with the brooder door removed - and it worked beautifully. No crying at all, no drama. They had the large coop to explore and get used to, but if scared, and at night, they had their familiar old home - the brooder - there to hide inside of and feel safe. Eventually they stopped going into the brooder at night and started using the roosts, all on their own time, and then I removed the brooder. They didn't even notice. This is totally stress free for both you and the chickens. If you have babies again, consider doing this instead.

Edit: Obviously this strategy works best if this is your first time and you don't have older chickens already in the coop. But if you do have other chickens, you can section off part of the coop with chicken wire so they can see but not get at each other, and still try the brooder-in-coop method.

Last edited:
If you can get them acclimated here and there, definitely do it! We had them outside pretty much non stop after 5 weeks when it was warm enough, gradually increasing the time each day until they were out morning to dusk.

Sooooooo last night I cried non stop for about an hour, then finally brought them inside. 😅 I am such a sucker for pet drama, but I know they will get used to it. I was just nervous because we painted a few days ago so we've been airing it, both wanted to give it another day and also not make them be in a coop that was so cold. After I brought them back in I got a thermometer set up and they've been in the run all day today. Also bought a solar night light (extra). PLANNING to leave them in tonight but we'll see. When I did take them in, they were fine - they'd stopped crying completely and were just huddled in the corner. I was the dramatic one overall!
I just know that is going to be me next weekend!

Mine are about 3 1/2 weeks and I have plans to try removing one of the brooder walls and letting the little ones come and go into the coop through a small door when they're a bit bigger. Right now as the older (4 months) birds are still settling into the new space, I want to keep them separate. I'm worried it might be a bit too much too soon if I tried it while the older birds are still stressed.

I am so glad to see I am not the only one w separation anxiety!!! I have 5 ten week olds that are running the show. This is my first go at chicks and my attempt to have coop ready by week 6 was foiled due to poor planning and a bad coop company😭.

An ordered prefab is on its way so I will be putting them in their condo this weekend fingers crossed!! I’m freaked that they are going to be slaughtered by a raccoon or some other villain. They are currently housed in my garage at night and they go out to a makeshift pen I built for the day. They are literally carried out every morning in a crate to their “play pen.” I am working from home thanks to COVID which prompted me to get them...but I will admit Ive been a bit flat footed not being very knowledgeable.

Good luck to all of you....

Oh I'm sorry, that sounds stressful! My marriage was put to a test with starting the coop late, let me tell you. Who knew building would be that hard! If you have raccoons or other predators in your area you might look into modifications. I got a prefab coop that was rated well but WAY too small and not safe for sure. I'm sure they'll do great with the transition though! I also got mine as a quarantine whim and now I'm obsessed. 😅 Pleased to say this is the 4th night they've slept outside and I'm not worried in the slightest!

It's late for this now, but in case you get/hatch chicks again, or in case anybody else reads this, I want to recommend moving them out younger - much younger (which would require planning/building coop and run in advance and all that, so it's ready). I moved mine out to the coop at 3 weeks old, moved them along with their brooder - placed the brooder in the coop, with the brooder door removed - and it worked beautifully. No crying at all, no drama. They had the large coop to explore and get used to, but if scared, and at night, they had their familiar old home - the brooder - there to hide inside of and feel safe. Eventually they stopped going into the brooder at night and started using the roosts, all on their own time, and then I removed the brooder. They didn't even notice. This is totally stress free for both you and the chickens. If you have babies again, consider doing this instead.

Edit: Obviously this strategy works best if this is your first time and you don't have older chickens already in the coop. But if you do have other chickens, you can section off part of the coop with chicken wire so they can see but not get at each other, and still try the brooder-in-coop method.

Such a good idea! I kept all the old stuff in case we do get more chicks eventually.

Back
Top Bottom