First night out of the house-SUCCESS!

JellyBeanCee

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Austin, TX
I'd been agonizing over not having our coop finished and persistent rain has just continued to stop the progress, so we made a very secure space in our work shed for the chickies. Last night was their first night out there. No heat and they were pretty far away from where I could hear anything if something went wrong. That made me a little edgy. But I went out about 3 times last night to check on them with the flashlight and everyone seemed fine. They didn't even really seem to be all that huddled up to one another either, despite temps being about 20 degrees cooler out there. Then this morning, before I went to work, I went out with the flashlight and didn't hear anything, the quiet slightly freaked me out, went around to the area where they were sleeping and once I put the light on them, they looked up at me like, "what the heck lady, we were sleeping!" Yay! So now we just have to hope for a reprieve from the rain so we can get them into their proper coop space.
wee.gif

Congratulations on moving your babies out of the house. I remember when I moved my first babies outside to the shed. I didn't get much sleep.

I hope you get a chance to finish your coop soon. Do post pics!

smile.png

Congrats. I just put ours out three days ago and they are being a little difficult. They don't want to roost. They are sleeping on the floor of the coop. They don't go outside in the morning until we crawl in the coop and persuade them. Then when outside they don't want to come back into the coop at night. We have to catch all 24 of them and put them in. Oh what fun we are having. Lol. Hopefully our older ones will teach them what to do but so far its been a little battle.

Tonight is the first night out in the yard for my little ones as well. I've gone out there a couple of times (ok... more like five times) to check on them. It's raining pretty hard and I guess I am worried about them being too cold or scared. I hope the neighbors haven't seen me peeking into the coop with the flashlight in the rain. One more thing to add to their crazy chicken lady list... sigh.

Every time I've gone out, mine have been just fine & dandy. Not cold either. I'm glad we had a small warm spell though. That'll help them acclimate better I'm sure. None are consistently roosting yet. They seem to take turns each night. I'm sure they'll eventually get it. So relieved it's going well though. Thanks for the encouragement. And to those struggling still, we'll get through it. Have faith! : )

Back
Top Bottom