First pip help! Missed Air Cell, blood showing around pip!

just2rosey

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
New Kent
I am on day one hour into day 20 and my first egg just pipped. It is low down on the egg, completely missing the air cell and there is blood leaking out the opening a bit. For now it is peeping I just shifted the egg a bit so that its beak is at the top most point and left it be for now... Should I try to assist in any way? what should I do? Thanks for any help all you experts.

Quote:
This is my first time hatching, but I just had a baby come out of an egg that had a teensy bit of blood showing on the membrane as the baby zipped. There was a teeny bit left in the shell but it wasn't much. Mine got out super fast, so maybe that is why? Anyway, I didn't have to do anything. I'm not an expert though - first time
smile.png

Leave it alone for a while, but make sure it's pip (air hole ) is clear so it can breath. It may hatch on it's own, but you may have to assist it zipping later because the excess blood inside the shell may cause the baby to get stuck while zipping. I just had to help one out that did the same thing. BUT, if you try to help too soon they will bleed out and/or not absorb the yolk all the way. My chick pipped on the wrong end, bled and got stuck while zipping. I helped it finish zipping and had to wash it off as it was all sticky and had blood crusted on its side. Now it is fluffing up in the bator:)

Good luck,
Trisha

Thanks, Trisha.
I did make sure the beak was clear placed the egg so it was up and am waiting for the vessels to close (or what ever they do). I will wait and hope I have as good an outcome as you did.
fl.gif
Wish me luck!

I'm having the same issue. 2 of mine pipped very low. One hatched quickly but was upside down. The other I moved so it was pip side up. There was a bit of blood but now it looks like the membrane is drying out. I think I'm gonna have to help this one. Good luck with yours. Btw there are several threads on how to assist them if you decide to do that.

YA! I have read those threads a few times, about helping chicks. I have helped it a bit this morning. The membranes are drying out, so I have moistened things a bit with a warm wet qtip. I chipped off the air cell end of the shell and then put it back in the bator on a warm wet paper towel. The blood vessels appear to be closed now, but it still hasn't moved much, I don't know if it is stuck or not ready. Since none of the others are hatched yet I am letting it sit for now.
fl.gif
I hope the rest of the hatch goes ok.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom