First pip

poultryman84

Songster
9 Years
Oct 24, 2014
Quincy IL
Got my first pip ever! Give me some advice on what to watch for. Humidity is at 62% ant temp 99.8

Congrats! Don't be surprised when your humidity rises a bit when they start hatching. He's pipping right where he needs to so it looks good. It can take up to 24 hours before they actually zip though so don't get too worried to fast. (My average is 12-18 hours, with a couple sooner and a couple later.) Just keep that humidity in there for him and you should be good.

Thanks you for the advice. it's been a couple hours and still no change. Is that normal?
Yup. Completely. When my first one pips, I take my phone and bring up a youtube video of chicks cheeping and play it by the bator and it motivates the chicks. You'll see the movement at the pip hole as he tries to make the hole bigger. I'll play the video a couple times then let them rest and an hour or so later I'll do it again. It's pretty cool to see them get excited. Usually they will cheep back.

You have 2 choices: If your bator is not terribly full of eggs, you could toss in a damp sponge, or if you have an unfilled chamber, add water there, or... If you are loaded with eggs, you could ride it out. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom