First signs of a roo?

Feb 15, 2022
I have 4 chicks. One in particular is the most active, has a hard time relaxing, is the most vocal and the biggest. It’s also the only austrawhite (others are 2 australopes, and a BLR Wyandotte), so maybe that’s why it’s different?

Are those the first signs that I’m getting a Rooster? I’m so worried because it’s also my fave and I can’t have Roos… 🥺

Attachments

• 6B50F178-2130-4F95-ACBE-A9055AC15F28.jpeg
    6B50F178-2130-4F95-ACBE-A9055AC15F28.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 41BAA824-431E-46C8-AB55-7E256A5F86EA.jpeg
    41BAA824-431E-46C8-AB55-7E256A5F86EA.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 8
My largest ever chick ended up being a hen (pullet if the female chicken is under a year), so size isn't the best indicator, in my experience. The cockerels (male chickens under a year old) are usually much more outgoing with humans and oftentimes the first to inspect anything new. With that said, that's not 100%. Male specific feathering and/or crowing will be more reliable indicators.

My largest ever chick ended up being a hen (pullet if the female chicken is under a year), so size isn't the best indicator, in my experience. The cockerels (male chickens under a year old) are usually much more outgoing with humans and oftentimes the first to inspect anything new. With that said, that's not 100%. Male specific feathering and/or crowing will be more reliable indicators. crossed!

I ended up getting what I thought was going to be 6 pullets, but 2 ended up being Cockerels. The first sign for me was their size. They were and are still huge compared to my hens. The combs and wattles were prominent before all the others. Also they were more vocal and active.

I also could not have Roosters yet I tried so hard to keep them because they were the sweetest boys. My neighbors where great and did not care really care as long as I had them in the garage during sleeping hours. But sadly when they reached about 6 months they started fighting with each other so much, then on top of that they were aggressively mating with my hens so much that feathers were falling out. So I had to sadly find a new home for them. Luckily a local sanctuary took them in so long as I made a hefty donation. But at least they are living their life out happily and I can even go and visit.

I truly hope you have a pullet so you can keep it. It always seems to be the favorite that turns out to be a cockerel. Good luck! Keep us updated!

I ended up getting what I thought was going to be 6 pullets, but 2 ended up being Cockerels. The first sign for me was their size. They were and are still huge compared to my hens. The combs and wattles were prominent before all the others. Also they were more vocal and active.

I also could not have Roosters yet I tried so hard to keep them because they were the sweetest boys. My neighbors where great and did not care really care as long as I had them in the garage during sleeping hours. But sadly when they reached about 6 months they started fighting with each other so much, then on top of that they were aggressively mating with my hens so much that feathers were falling out. So I had to sadly find a new home for them. Luckily a local sanctuary took them in so long as I made a hefty donation. But at least they are living their life out happily and I can even go and visit.

I truly hope you have a pullet so you can keep it. It always seems to be the favorite that turns out to be a cockerel. Good luck! Keep us updated!
Thanks! I’ll definitely post an update for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom