First time broody turkey, advice needed

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I have my very first broody turkey. She has been in the nest for 2 days now and I will purchase fertile turkey eggs (as I don't have a male) and put them under her. Question - how many turkey eggs should I put under the broody turkey?
I was also told every 4th day I need to take her out for a walk??

Also, can I put Muscovy duck eggs under the turkey? My Muscovy duck laid 13 eggs but does not want to go broody..? Edit: I was told Muscovy eggs under a turkey won't work... Don't know why, something to do with number of days and humidity.

What about peacock eggs? My neighbour has a couple of peacocks and the female is laying eggs. Will a turkey hatch peacock eggs?

Last edited:
What you need to find out is how many days it takes a turkey egg to hatch. Other eggs hatch at different times, and the broodies internal clock will tell her when they are supposed to hatch. For example, it’s 50/50 on whether a chicken will hatch goose eggs since goose eggs take 35 days to hatch and chickens have an internal clock set to 20 / 25 days.... this is just an example, idk anything about turkeys.

Turkey eggs take 28 days and peacocks take 28-29. Both seem to have similar requirements for hatching so I’d think a turkey hen could successfully hatch pea chicks.
This is purely from what I’ve read and not experience.

Waterfowl has different needs for incubation. Example: being sprayed with water, allowed to cool down every so often, ect.
Again, that’s what I’ve read and not experience. But I’d guess that’s why you were told the turkey couldn’t hatch the Muscovy eggs.

I have my very first broody turkey. She has been in the nest for 2 days now and I will purchase fertile turkey eggs (as I don't have a male) and put them under her. Question - how many turkey eggs should I put under the broody turkey?
I was also told every 4th day I need to take her out for a walk??

Also, can I put Muscovy duck eggs under the turkey? My Muscovy duck laid 13 eggs but does not want to go broody..? Edit: I was told Muscovy eggs under a turkey won't work... Don't know why, something to do with number of days and humidity.

What about peacock eggs? My neighbour has a couple of peacocks and the female is laying eggs. Will a turkey hatch peacock eggs?
A turkey hen can easily handle 12 to 18 turkey eggs.

Once the hen is broody, leave her alone. She will get off the nest on her own to eat, drink and poop once a day. Just because you don't see the hen get off of the nest does not mean it isn't happening.

Yes a turkey can hatch duck eggs. I had one BBB hen hatch goose eggs. They know what to do and do not need any interference.

Yes, a turkey can hatch pea fowl eggs. There is no such thing as a peacock egg as the peacock is the male pea fowl.

They can even hatch chicken or guinea eggs although if the chicken eggs do not have good hard shells, many of them may break.

Once the hen is broody, leave her alone. She will get off the nest on her own to eat, drink and poop once a day. Just because you don't see the hen get off of the nest does not mean it isn't happening.
Yes a turkey can hatch duck eggs. I had one BBB hen hatch goose eggs. They know what to do and do not need any interference.
Yes, a turkey can hatch pea fowl eggs. There is no such thing as a peacock egg as the peacock is the male pea fowl.
They can even hatch chicken or guinea eggs although if the chicken eggs do not have good hard shells, many of them may break.

I took her out of the nest today for a walk... she had a long walk and came back in the coop in a different nest! Argh! I am not sure of there are eggs in that second nest, some chicken may have laid... They are all asleep now, will see what happens tomorrow, I am glad I did not buy fertile turkey eggs yet.
When you say hatch duck eggs, what kind of a duck? I only have Muscovy and last year they took 42-43 days to hatch, which is 2 weeks longer that turkey eggs. Plus I read Muscovy need moisture... a lot of moisture.
Thanks for the pea fowl correction :) My birds English language dictionary is still under development :)
As for chicken eggs under a turkey - yes, a common practice here. People put 24 chicken eggs under one turkey.

I took her out of the nest today for a walk... she had a long walk and came back in the coop in a different nest! Argh! I am not sure of there are eggs in that second nest, some chicken may have laid... They are all asleep now, will see what happens tomorrow, I am glad I did not buy fertile turkey eggs yet.
When you say hatch duck eggs, what kind of a duck? I only have Muscovy and last year they took 42-43 days to hatch, which is 2 weeks longer that turkey eggs. Plus I read Muscovy need moisture... a lot of moisture.
Thanks for the pea fowl correction :) My birds English language dictionary is still under development :)
As for chicken eggs under a turkey - yes, a common practice here. People put 24 chicken eggs under one turkey.
Don't move her you will upset her and make her leave for a new nest that you can't find, or permanently break her.

Well, I heard different opinions about moving broody turkey. A professional breeder here said they need to be taken out of the nest every 4th day for a walk and then the turkey goes back in the nest on her own. Mine was in the nest for 3 days without going outside, that's why I took her for a walk, besides I don't have fertile eggs yet, so I decided to follow the professional's advice and see what happens. I am not losing anything. Upset?? My turkey?? :) They are so sweet and cuddly, I don't think they could every be upset. They like to play with my hair... :)

Well, I heard different opinions about moving broody turkey. A professional breeder here said they need to be taken out of the nest every 4th day for a walk and then the turkey goes back in the nest on her own. Mine was in the nest for 3 days without going outside, that's why I took her for a walk, besides I don't have fertile eggs yet, so I decided to follow the professional's advice and see what happens. I am not losing anything. Upset?? My turkey?? :) They are so sweet and cuddly, I don't think they could every be upset. They like to play with my hair... :)
They need to be left alone. Unless you have a camera monitoring her, you have no way of knowing that she did not leave the nest. They will get off of the nest on their own to eat, drink and poop.

She does not need to go for a walk. She does not need to leave the coop. All she needs to do is eat, drink and poop. Do not put the food and water close to the nest. It can attract unwanted visitors.

It is natural for turkeys to abandon a nest that has been messed with. When they do abandon a nest, they start a new nest in a "better" place. Better in the mind of a turkey means better hidden.

A turkey will sit on a clutch of infertile eggs for months unless forced off of the nest. An extra 2 weeks is nothing. I have had chickens hatch both guinea and turkey eggs which is a week longer than chicken eggs. They do not abandon the nest just because 21 days have gone by.

Putting duck eggs under a turkey is no different than putting them under a duck. The eggs get the necessary moisture from the bird's body, not from pouring water on them. Don't over think things. Birds naturally know how to hatch eggs.

Thanks @R2elk , really useful! In regards of the camera - I have one, but I am rarely using it these days as when there is snow I work from home and the coop is under my window, so I do actually observe that particular flock almost 24*7 :) and I know she did not leave the nest. And when I say 'walk' of course I mean food and drink.. they are free ranged.

Back
Top Bottom