First Time Chick Owner - HELP!

Crazy4Wyandottes

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2019
North Carolina
I just impulse bought 6 bantam chicks from Craiglist :idunno (yes, I know I have a chicken addiction problem). I'm picking them up on my way home from work today.

My Main question is: other than chick starter feed and water, what else do I need to care for them? Can they stay in a box in my house? How warm (temperature) do they need to be? I only have a heating pad that I could use as a fake mother hen to keep them warm. I have full size hens but no broody ones at the moment. I also don't have any heat lamps to keep them warm outside. How old do they have to be before I can introduce them to my adult flock? Can I trick one of the hens into raising them?

Welcome To BYC! is the heating pad for chickens? Agree with Fowl guy for temperature, the only other thing is Nutri Drench to give the chicks a boost. That is not a must though

I saw on Youtube how you can incubate eggs with medical heating pad and also use the pad as a fake mother hen. Chicks go under it to keep warm and come out to eat and drink. Its just a basic, medical, light blue, heating pad with no shut off. Settings are low - high. It gets up to 100 degrees. I want to use this instead of a heating light if possible.

I'm headed to Tractor Supply on my lunch break. Anything else I should buy other than:
- chick feeder
- chick waterer
- Chick starter feed
- box
- ?

I did sav a chick electrolytes first 5 days then weekly in water. Gives them a boost. Put marbles in water so can’t fall in and drown. Need cardboard box. 2 sq ft per bird is ideal and heat lamp from TSC. Temp first week 90-95 degrees. Need thermometer at level of chicken inside box to check temps. Wean 5 degrees every 5-7 days till at 65-70 degrees then turn off heat source. Can go outside when fully feathered out. Earliest 4-5 weeks or 6-8 latest. Provide starter grower medicated 20% or Flock Raiser. Provide chic grit at 3-4 weeks free choice and may start offering greens like cabbage leaves or dried mealworms for protein at 3-4 weeks as well. Limit as a treat 10% or less of diet. If broody not caring for them. Good Luck! :)

I saw on Youtube how you can incubate eggs with medical heating pad and also use the pad as a fake mother hen. Chicks go under it to keep warm and come out to eat and drink. Its just a basic, medical, light blue, heating pad with no shut off. Settings are low - high. It gets up to 100 degrees. I want to use this instead of a heating light if possible.

I'm headed to Tractor Supply on my lunch break. Anything else I should buy other than:
- chick feeder
- chick waterer
- Chick starter feed
- box
- ?
For the box lost of people use a plastic tote or any plastic box

Back
Top Bottom