First time chick parents in PA - 4 cream legbar girls

Thirrin

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
As new as it gets, got our first girls last Tuesday

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Four
(3) What breeds do you have?

Cream Legbar. When reading about breeds, they seemed healthy/hardy for our 4 seasons climate and I liked the idea of blue eggs
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are amusing, interesting creatures, I have always liked animals, and we eat a TON of eggs, so... sounded like a good idea. The self-sufficiency/homesteading aspect is appealing as well

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Taking care of two dogs and a cat (Aussie mix, Samoyed, Maine Coon) who are quite spoiled, camping, video games, D&D

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am so grateful to work from home, doing mostly bureaucratic nonsense at average/low pay, but hey, from home. Being able to be around my animals all day has done wonders for my mental health. My husband just finished his engineering degree which he was able to get through his GI bill, and if he gets a well enough paying job down the road we dream of having me being able to quit and fully run a small hobby farm/homestead and raise our theoretical future kids/animals. Right now, we live in a small house in suburbia though haha

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have ADHD and tend to hyper focus on things, and went down several rabbit holes researching chicks and backyard chickens, and this website continunually came up in search results with detailed descriptions and opinions, even more often than the dedicated blogs were. Animals are one of the few things that I don't have to worry about losing interest in or forgetting about over my 27ish ADHD years, they are the only things that have ever gotten me to stick to a schedule, that motivate me to actually do anything when I don't care about myself, they are the best dopamine delivery systems :p.

Attachments

• Snapchat-376950954.jpg
    Snapchat-376950954.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220601_075649.jpg
    20220601_075649.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom