First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Hahaha, that's clever! My fiance is building a Gilligan's Island themed coop, so whatever roo we end up having will be named Skipper. I don't want to name a boy yet though, in case we have to choose between more than one boy
1f625.png

I switched the zipties right after taking the pictures. The hardest part is keeping their foot still for the 2 seconds it takes to switch it out haha. I'll grab a picture quick of how loose the new ones are (just small enough that they can't slip their foot through). I clip it off while it's still a little loose, just using some cutters meant for jewelry making (since they're smaller than the regular sized ones).

No names yet. We want to know who's male and who's female first, so we know who we're keeping. For now, they're just being called by color (though the red one has affectionately been dubbed "fastest comb in the west").

Haha. Nice. When we had our litter of lab pups, we named them by their collar colors. To this day when I see one of the pups (now 7 months old) at their owners home, I still refer to them as "Red", "Blue", "Pink", "Yellow", "Orange", or "White". We kept "Green"... and he's the only one who has a real name now. ;)

Rhode Island Red - 2.5 weeks
Barred Plymouth Rock - 2.5 weeks
Mottled Orpington - 1 month
Blue Orpington - 2 months

Maybe you already posted this... but are they all mixed together? Just curious... ours are a few days apart in age and doing great. But we're getting another batch of special ordered chicks in May and I'll be separating them until they are the same size.

Maybe you already posted this... but are they all mixed together?  Just curious... ours are a few days apart in age and doing great.  But we're getting another batch of special ordered chicks in May and I'll be separating them until they are the same size.

I just got the 2 older ones yesterday and they are separated from the 2 young ones. The 2 older ones seem to get along fine, I think maybe when the 2.5 week old chicks are a month old I will put them together. My RIR is a bit bossy and might get herself in trouble.
263a.png

I just got the 2 older ones yesterday and they are separated from the 2 young ones. The 2 older ones seem to get along fine, I think maybe when the 2.5 week old chicks are a month old I will put them together. My RIR is a bit bossy and might get herself in trouble.
263a.png

Haha. I have heard that about RIR. Bossy pants. Thats funny. There is always one.

New here with four little chicks - two Auracana, 1 each Red Star and Black Star. We got the first three Saturday, but the Black Star just joined the family today.

At nearly two weeks, the Red Star is the oldest.

No names for any other than the Black Star. My son christened her 'Bowie' before we even got her :)

Getting new babies this week! Very excited but nervous. I'm a first time chick mom and am researching up a storm! I'm only going to get 2 or 3 to start. I don't want to be overwhelmed. I'll post pics soon! Any tips for prepping?

Back
Top Bottom