First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Montanaskd's chicks seem like they had a harrowing journey, I hope they thrive now :)

Our new littles are home and in the brooder now. We ended up with 3 buff orpingtons, 3 speckled Sussex, and 3 easter eggers. The BOs are about 3 weeks old, the other 6 chicks are around a week and a half. They just had a 40 minute car ride to get home, then into the brooder. They found food, warmth, and water within the first hour. So much fun to watch :)

Our poor dog is so stressed out over them. They are triggering his prey drive like crazy, but he caught on really fast that we expected him to restrain himself. He's a good boy and is using all his self-control, but it is so hard for him that if he watches the chicks running around he actually starts to shake. We'll be working with him.

Just got my first babies yesterday. One has already died.
1f622.png
I don't know if she was sick or just got trampled. I believe I have done everything by the book...large container, red heat lamp, about 90* on one end, covered other end with a towel to prevent drafts, started food, plenty of fresh water that I have changed/filled 3 times already, rubber nonslip mat, pine shavings, thermometer. I placed a brick in there for them to climb on since I haven't found anything to serve as a roost bar yet. What am I missing?
The first thing I'd do is get rid of that towel holding in the heat. More chicks (and adult chickens) die from overheating than anything else. Chicks NEED a cooler area in the brooder. A heat lamp heats everything - the water, the feeders, the walls of the brooder, the floor of the brooder, the bedding....it's just too much to have it covered too..

Pasty butt is often caused by overheating. It's where the chick's vent becomes clogged with dried feces stuck to the feathers. It is fatal if not dealt with immediately because the chick can't pass any more waste past the clump of dried poop. Check each of your chicks for it. It can come on kinda fast, so in the beginning it's not out of line to check daily. If you see it, you'll know it. Take the chick to the faucet, run warm water over it, and gently pull it off with your fingers or a damp paper towel. You may even have to use a toothpick and GENTLY pick at it, repeating the warm water as needed. When you get it off, dry the chick carefully and dab just a bit of olive or coconut oil on the vent area. This helps prevent more from sticking. If a chick's hiney is really, really fluffy, some even use a manicure or other small scissors to just lightly trim some of the fuzz off. And you may have to repeat treatment a couple of times. Usually as they age, they aren't as inclined to have it happen again.

By the way, welcome to BYC.....glad to have you!

Edited to add: Don't worry about the chicks getting too cold if you remove the towel. I brood mine directly outside in the run in temps in the teens and twenties, in a pen right in with the adults. Haven't lost or had a sick one yet.

Last edited:
 Don't worry about the chicks getting too cold if you remove the towel.  I brood mine directly outside in the run in temps in the teens and twenties, in a pen right in with the adults.  Haven't lost or had a sick one yet.
[/quote]

I was worried about a draft. Everything I have read says to keep it between 90-95*, but I barely get it to 90* directly under the lamp. I will try removing the towel. Thanks for the advice. I have learned so much in the past two days. Love this forum!

We are very glad you found us. Lots of wonderful people on here, and a few old grouches. (I'm one of them!) But everyone is always willing to help. Here is a video of my chicks, outdoors when it was 21 degrees warm (cooler at night) and I don't even use a heat lamp! These little stinkers are tougher than we think!

0.jpg

Temperature on the floor of my brooder is 95 degrees. The chicks are spread apart and not huddled together. They are sleeping and randomly chirping. I never see them get any water on their own. The only water I have seen them get is what I have given them in a dropper. The one that was running around earlier is just laying their. And now the Easter egger is sleeping with its leg sprawled out like the one that died did. I'm worried but hoping for the best. Vacillating between intervention with continued electrolytes in a dropper or just hoping for the best. The were hatched in the 23rd, mailed out on the 24th and just got here today the 27th. So probably too long on their journey. They are 4 days old. Should I do anything or just let them be and hope for the best? I will never mail order again I think. :(

I became a new Chick mom yesterday. 8 RIR, 8 Easter Eggers. All seem to be doing well despite me breaking the red bulb today (outside of the brooder, caught fire to news papers, it was eventful). Hubs is taking on a meal worm farm and got that set up today. I started some barley fodder. Tomorrow's project: find a stick or something to put in the brooder.

I'm normally a vigilant researcher before I do anything, but I only had 24 hours to prep. I'm pretty proud of what I've pulled off this far. Now I must learn all of the things about coops, runs, and the stick things that I can't remember the name of. I'm glad I have a few weeks before I have to know it all (and have it built)!

My chicks are the same age and yes, this seems to be a difficult age. We lost one yesterday and I was afraid we would loose our little Polish chick last night. I went to bed with the very same thoughts your describe. I just checked and everybody (52) made it through the night. Relief!! We are so trying to do what these little chicks need. Let's keep in touch and hope this gets easier

Back
Top Bottom