First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Mareks is the only vaccine I give my birds.[/quote]

When you vaccinate, can you use the same needle, or does each chick need her own needle, like humans? Sorry if my questions seem stupid. I googled it, but couldn't find an answer.

When you vaccinate, can you use the same needle, or does each chick need her own needle, like humans? Sorry if my questions seem stupid. I googled it, but couldn't find an answer.

Best practice is to use new needles for each bird. That way the needle is sharp, you don't contaminate your vial of vaccine (usually a multi-dose vial), and you don't pass potential pathogens between birds.

Big hatcheries actually have automated machines that do most of the work for them...the worker just has to shove the body part of the chick (usually the head or leg) into a slot and the machine injects the bird with a preselected amount of the vaccine.

My two dogs are the same... Our wolfhound cross is a squeaky toy junkie and spends every moment with a new toy she can to kill the squeak. I think she sees our chicks as new squeaky toys as the sure do squeak. The other brown mutt we have is a sweetie, but she has a lot of trouble restraining herself with zippy flitty things and regularly takes out my songbirds in the backyard almost like that cartoon character who says, "I will love it and squeeze it and hold it for my very own...

I am hoping this passes soon, as it took them almost 6 months to get over the rabbit we had, at least as far as obsessing over it. It did live out its days within our bathroom as it was the only place for him to run and be a rabbit and do rabbit things. He did get the trips into the front yard before anyone gets mad... But they never got over trying to get him somehow... I guess I must build a Ft. Knox coop!

Montanaskd's chicks seem like they had a harrowing journey, I hope they thrive now :)

Our new littles are home and in the brooder now. We ended up with 3 buff orpingtons, 3 speckled Sussex, and 3 easter eggers. The BOs are about 3 weeks old, the other 6 chicks are around a week and a half. They just had a 40 minute car ride to get home, then into the brooder. They found food, warmth, and water within the first hour. So much fun to watch :)

Our poor dog is so stressed out over them. They are triggering his prey drive like crazy, but he caught on really fast that we expected him to restrain himself. He's a good boy and is using all his self-control, but it is so hard for him that if he watches the chicks running around he actually starts to shake. We'll be working with him.

See my above post... (Sorry old guy with a computer! Heads up! Danger Danger!)
he.gif

Today is day 5 with chicks in my life, and thus far I've learned:

-Heat lamps are scary! Heating pad cave is definitely the way to go.
-Chicks eat a lot. Mine are using just over a quart of scratch and feed a day, 15 (was 16) chicks.
-I thought I was mentally prepped to handle it when dead chicks happened. I wasn't. I frantically woke up hubs, handed him a bag, and had him take care of the chick. He is determined to toughen me up. I'll get there, eventually.
-Kids like chicks. A lot. My almost 4 year old has practically lived by their side, and the 1 year old visits them every chance he gets. I'm really sure I heard him say "chick" earlier today, and he doesn't talk much.
-The brooder can be not in my house. Currently, it's in my bathroom (warmest room in my tiny house). They'll be there until the coop is built (next week, hopefully). Next time around, brooder is going in the coop so I don't have to shuffle all of the things (including the bucket of chicks) to take a shower.
-Mealworms = easy AND I can fenangle the setup to fit in my house without taking up much space (1000 sq ft and 4 humans + bucket of chicks = tight quarters... can't wait for warm weather).
-Entirely too much time gets lost in learning all of the chicken things.... and I love it!

My two dogs are the same... Our wolfhound cross is a squeaky toy junkie and spends every moment with a new toy she can to kill the squeak. I think she sees our chicks as new squeaky toys as the sure do squeak. The other brown mutt we have is a sweetie, but she has a lot of trouble restraining herself with zippy flitty things and regularly takes out my songbirds in the backyard almost like that cartoon character who says, "I will love it and squeeze it and hold it for my very own...

I am hoping this passes soon, as it took them almost 6 months to get over the rabbit we had, at least as far as obsessing over it. It did live out its days within our bathroom as it was the only place for him to run and be a rabbit and do rabbit things. He did get the trips into the front yard before anyone gets mad... But they never got over trying to get him somehow... I guess I must build a Ft. Knox coop!

Our dog (shelter mutt, around 60 lbs, generally a lazy easygoing guy,) is acclimating slowly. I don't know if he will ever be 100% safe with baby chicks, but he is way less reactive now than he was a few days ago. I think it helps that I work from home and the brooder is in my office, so the dog and I usually spend all day in there. I make him lie down on his bed and be calm, or else he gets kicked out of the room. At this point, he still jumps up sometimes when the chicks get extra "fluttery" but otherwise he is starting not to care. He is pretty OK watching us handle them too. I would not try letting them run around the floor in his presence though.

Today is day 5 with chicks in my life, and thus far I've learned:

-Heat lamps are scary! Heating pad cave is definitely the way to go.
-Chicks eat a lot. Mine are using just over a quart of scratch and feed a day, 15 (was 16) chicks.
-I thought I was mentally prepped to handle it when dead chicks happened. I wasn't. I frantically woke up hubs, handed him a bag, and had him take care of the chick. He is determined to toughen me up. I'll get there, eventually.
-Kids like chicks. A lot. My almost 4 year old has practically lived by their side, and the 1 year old visits them every chance he gets. I'm really sure I heard him say "chick" earlier today, and he doesn't talk much.
-The brooder can be not in my house. Currently, it's in my bathroom (warmest room in my tiny house). They'll be there until the coop is built (next week, hopefully). Next time around, brooder is going in the coop so I don't have to shuffle all of the things (including the bucket of chicks) to take a shower.
-Mealworms = easy AND I can fenangle the setup to fit in my house without taking up much space (1000 sq ft and 4 humans + bucket of chicks = tight quarters... can't wait for warm weather).
-Entirely too much time gets lost in learning all of the chicken things.... and I love it!

What we've learned so far:
*Chicks are even messier than I thought. Good grief they poop like every other minute, it is ridiculous.
*But, they are also way more entertaining than we expected, and therefore the mess is a lot easier to tolerate. We kinda like having them in the house so far. BTW, 1500 sq ft, two adult humans, two boys ages 13 and 9, two cats, and the dog.
*Older kids like chicks a lot too.
*So does my husband.
*If you happen to have a chick that enjoys perching on your shoulder, it is a good excuse to talk like a pirate.

Back
Top Bottom