First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Well I looked today my lamp is 120w and that appears to be the smallest wattage everyone in town sells. Could I use a larger wattage bulb from a regular lamp rather than a heating lamp?

Right, commencing worrying now. First rainfall since kicking the older chicks outside into a dog kennel (reinforced against predators). They have a tarp on one quarter to provide a wind/rain break, a large dog house full of straw, a table thing they can get under, bales of straw, a wood pallet...still going to worry about them getting wet and chilled tonight. And the temp may drop down low enough by Sunday morning that we may get a little snow! I am really resisting the urge to go gather them up and put them in the garage...I know they should be fine, but...I really wish I'd had a chance to roof the coop right now!

Right, commencing worrying now. First rainfall since kicking the older chicks outside into a dog kennel (reinforced against predators). They have a tarp on one quarter to provide a wind/rain break, a large dog house full of straw, a table thing they can get under, bales of straw, a wood pallet...still going to worry about them getting wet and chilled tonight. And the temp may drop down low enough by Sunday morning that we may get a little snow! I am really resisting the urge to go gather them up and put them in the garage...I know they should be fine, but...I really wish I'd had a chance to roof the coop right now!

You are strong then I would be. I got a feeling I will be spending many nights sleeping out in the coop. Lol. I freaked today cause we had two escapes thankfully the dogs just alerted me to it and did not go after them and hurt em. Now I am checking them every few minutes.

You are strong then I would be. I got a feeling I will be spending many nights sleeping out in the coop. Lol. I freaked today cause we had two escapes thankfully the dogs just alerted me to it and did not go after them and hurt em. Now I am checking them every few minutes.

It kinda helps that I would have to drive to get them. I have a small house in the city where I live (and brood) and a small acreage outside the city where the chickens will be living (and I will be soon working). I am sure that I'll be out there at dawn, however!

My babies (2 RIR, 2 barred rock, 1 golden comet) are sleeping happily while I attempt to get some work done. I think I'm singlehandedly responsible for an overall drop in productivity today
caf.gif

My babies are already getting some impressive wing feathers and they're only 5 days old!

Aww! Really sweet! I have been looking forward to seeing your chickies! I was sorry to hear that Bowman's was out of the Wyandottes when you got there.
barnie.gif
I hope they have plenty next Thursday!

I'm a new chick parent too! Just got six, day old chicks yesterday from a local feed store. They had to go to work with me all day yesterday, in a box with water, food and heat (I was very popular, let me tell you. Everyone came into my office, from co-workers to the boss's boss. I thankfully work in a pet-friendly workplace.)

Last night, they moved into the larger brooder I have set up at home. It is step up shower in out heated basement, with cardboard covering the tiles and pine shaving on that. I am using an extra large heating pad sewed up in a cave shape. It is about 95 in the cave, 75 in the rest of the brooder. They are sleeping in a heap at the mouth of the "cave" and running around at times as well. Everyone is eating and drinking and pooping. The poop is well-formed and not bloody at all. I've checked. I'm feeding medicated feed. I have two Ameracanuas, two Rhode Island reds, one welsummer and one barred rock. I'll post pictures when my husband takes them. One of the girls was chirping for attention last night, but would stop as soon as I went in the room. She was looking for attention, I am sure of that!

This thread is great! It is nice to get good advice and learn about other people's set up.

HELP!

A friend asked if we'd take her 6 RIR that came from the same source we got our chicks. Same age, same shipping batch, same feed, different treats, she vaccinated against coccodia I did not. She has other chicks as well, just realized she'd taken on too much. My 15 chicks have been in the coop for several days, are used to the MHP cave setup, and handle the Alaska cold well. Her (now 5) chicks are definitely heating lamp products (we added one to help them through this cold snap) which is fine, aren't very social (also fine, we've hand fed a lot of treats etc.), and seem stand-offish (expected after being lugged across town and introduced to a new flock... right?).

There was bloody poop in the coop. I thought I saw it last night, but the lighting was poor so I brushed it off. However, in the sunlight, it was confirmed. I only saw the one. No traces of red in the straw or elsewhere. All 15 of mine are acting totally normal, the 5 newbs are acting more normal than they have been. I'm not sure what to do from this point. Help?!?!

HELP!

A friend asked if we'd take her 6 RIR that came from the same source we got our chicks. Same age, same shipping batch, same feed, different treats, she vaccinated against coccodia I did not. She has other chicks as well, just realized she'd taken on too much. My 15 chicks have been in the coop for several days, are used to the MHP cave setup, and handle the Alaska cold well. Her (now 5) chicks are definitely heating lamp products (we added one to help them through this cold snap) which is fine, aren't very social (also fine, we've hand fed a lot of treats etc.), and seem stand-offish (expected after being lugged across town and introduced to a new flock... right?).

There was bloody poop in the coop. I thought I saw it last night, but the lighting was poor so I brushed it off. However, in the sunlight, it was confirmed. I only saw the one. No traces of red in the straw or elsewhere.  All 15 of mine are acting totally normal, the 5 newbs are acting more normal than they have been. I'm not sure what to do from this point. Help?!?!
try the emergency help section. They are very knowledgeable over there on what to do. I know I just read this somewhere as to causes but treatment will be whole flock for sure

Back
Top Bottom