First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Crazy!! No heating pad even?
Nope. Just them. It was April 1, 2014. I put a heat lamp out there the first night. They ignored it and cuddled down near the pop door nowhere in the vicinity of the lamp. I kept getting out of my warm bed to check on them as the temps kept going down, and they were just fine. I, on the other hand, was freezing in my Jammies, jacket and boots. Next night the same exact story. So the third morning I took the lamp out. If they weren't going to use it, I wasn't going to risk it. That night it snowed. And we didn't get our last snowfall until June 6th. If I'd kept them in the house like a bouquet of orchids I'd have had them indoors until they were laying eggs! I didn't lose a single chick to chilling or any other thing I feared the most....many of them are still out there, providing me with fresh eggs and entertainment. Some went to freezer camp, and one lady lost her flock just at point of lay to a pack of dogs so I gave her 8 of mine when they were about the same age as the ones she lost - maybe 18 weeks or so. She still has them, too.

Nope. Just them. It was April 1, 2014. I put a heat lamp out there the first night. They ignored it and cuddled down near the pop door nowhere in the vicinity of the lamp. I kept getting out of my warm bed to check on them as the temps kept going down, and they were just fine. I, on the other hand, was freezing in my Jammies, jacket and boots. Next night the same exact story. So the third morning I took the lamp out. If they weren't going to use it, I wasn't going to risk it. That night it snowed. And we didn't get our last snowfall until June 6th. If I'd kept them in the house like a bouquet of orchids I'd have had them indoors until they were laying eggs! I didn't lose a single chick to chilling or any other thing I feared the most....many of them are still out there, providing me with fresh eggs and entertainment. Some went to freezer camp, and one lady lost her flock just at point of lay to a pack of dogs so I gave her 8 of mine when they were about the same age as the ones she lost - maybe 18 weeks or so. She still has them, too.
Thanks for your input! This is such a relief to hear that your babies did so well outside. It seems like we have similar weather, in fact it's snowing right now. I am so stressed out leaving them with a sitter for 4 nights. This must be true love hahaha.

Nope.  Just them. It was April 1, 2014.  I put a heat lamp out there the first night.  They ignored it and cuddled down near the pop door nowhere in the vicinity of the lamp.  I kept getting out of my warm bed to check on them as the temps kept going down, and they were just fine.  I, on the other hand, was freezing in my Jammies, jacket and boots.  Next night the same exact story.  So the third morning I took the lamp out.  If they weren't going to use it, I wasn't going to risk it.  That night it snowed.  And we didn't get our last snowfall until June 6th. If I'd kept them in the house like a bouquet of orchids I'd have had them indoors until they were laying eggs!  I didn't lose a single chick to chilling or any other thing I feared the most....many of them are still out there, providing me with fresh eggs and entertainment.  Some went to freezer camp, and one lady lost her flock just at point of lay to a pack of dogs so I gave her 8 of mine when they were about the same age as the ones she lost - maybe 18 weeks or so.  She still has them, too.

See I will be worrying about the exact opposite here. It's usually mid to high 90's by now and gets well over 100deg here. I have heard so much about chickens in cold weather. You don't hear as much about how to raise them in a desert. I actually just switched the chicks to the mama heating pad method yesterday. I turned it to 5 (they are almost two weeks old). Now I'm wondering if I should turn it to 4. They all seem snuggled in and happy tho. About half the brood is piled on top and half on the bottom. They did well last night. And the runts/smaller breeds seem to be the ones going inside more. My main concern is when I put them in the coop in a week or so whether they are going to adjust well to the heat. And giant fluctuations since the temps can't seem to stay even close to stable in a day this year.

Hi All,
I'm a first time chicken Mama, and so excited to have my peeps! (My dogs are not though :( I hope that will change someday!)
Anyway, I have been reading posts here, which helps A LOT since I've been worried to death that I'm gonna do something wrong!
1f62c.png
But, they seem to all be thriving! Yeah!!
To everyone, experienced & newcomers, it helps so much to learn what everyone else is/has experienced! I've settled down a whole lot, and don't run in to look at them every five minutes anymore. (Though I want to, mostly to play with them...but I have had to restrain myself due to a long 'to do' list while hubs is out of town). So Thank You All!

We got twelve little babies, 4 each of Rhode Island Reds, Black Sex Links, & Plymouth Barred Rocks. Hubs went to the mainland to get them, and that's what he came back with, knowing nothing about any of them, lol. Not like I know much, but the sex links are the ones I'm unfamiliar with. So we'll see how it all plays out. From what I've read/learned, I think those 4 are all girls! Yeah!

They are not quite two weeks old today (but I do think 2 PBR & 2 BSL are a little older, they were bigger from the start). Omg are they all so cute!! Thanks for letting me ramble!

Hi I am first time chicken mumsy I've been keeping my pekin bantams in the house! I am confused weather to bye a plastic eglu! Or wooden coop I am put of at the threat of red mites in wooden coops I'm actually terrified at the thought any suggestions on what is actually really better wood or the plastic coop that can be taken apart to clean?? Apparently creasole kept the mites at bay but is no longer used! I'm finding it difficult to find a wooden coop as they all have felt roofs and mites live under this my chicks are five/ six weeks now I'm running out of time lol they are enjoying watching chickens on YouTube with me and sitting on my sofa I'm worried they ARNT going to no what to do outside in a coop eventually under our British grey bi polar skies and weather bless them!!

I lost two chicks last night :( I found them laying just outside the mama heating pad cave. I am devastated! It got down to 38 degrees last night and I kept checking on them. I even turned on the floor heater I have out there for 6 hours and covered the entire brooder with a blanket. I will be bringing them in tonight, I wouldn't be able to handle losing more because of my insistence on having them outside.
hit.gif

I lost two chicks last night :(  I found them laying just outside the mama heating pad cave.  I am devastated!  It got down to 38 degrees last night and I kept checking on them.  I even turned on the floor heater I have out there for 6 hours and covered the entire brooder with a blanket.  I will be bringing them in tonight, I wouldn't be able to handle losing more because of my insistence on having them outside.  :hit
I don't blame you. I'm sorry for your losses.

Well, our orpingtons are 7 weeks old now and the silkies are 3 weeks old (man, time flies lol). One of our orps is crowing.....kind of. It sounds a bit like a frog gargling would lol. I'll have to do the weekly photoshoot....we'll see how cooperative everyone is lol. They've all been pretty restless recently.

Back
Top Bottom