First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

One of my new ones has a prolapsed vent too
1f615.png
I've been using coconut oil since it was really all I have, hadn't thought about preparation H I'll have to try it. I only have the cooling kind, would that be ok to use? Hers stays in for a few minutes but that's it...

As long as there is no other sign of illness or infection, and the chick is able to poo fine, a protruding vent is not a problem for a chick. They will recede as the chick grows naturally, with or without treatment.

However if there is any sign of diarrhea, especially bloody (concur that would be Coccidiosis and would need to be treated immediately), or if the vent and abdomen have any redness or swelling, then you've got a case of omphalitis (infected navel). That happens when the navel doesn't fully close at hatch allowing bacteria to enter and thrive in the moist, egg yolk rich, environment of the abdomen. It is the number 1 killer of hatchery chicks and why the hatchery tries to keep sterile conditions.

If you see redness, puffiness, and swelling around the protruding vent, then a good dose of Vetrimycin or Chlorexhiderm on the vent area with antibiotics in the water is in order.

Latent bacterial infection can cause failure to thrive and chick loss over the next two weeks after delivery.

But again, if there are no signs of illness or infection, the chick has an "outie" which will become an "innie" vent in due time.

LofMc

Last edited:
As long as there is no other sign of illness or infection, and the chick is able to poo fine, a protruding vent is not a problem for a chick. They will recede as the chick grows naturally, with or without treatment.

However if there is any sign of diarrhea, especially bloody (concur that would be Coccidiosis and would need to be treated immediately), or if the vent and abdomen have any redness or swelling, then you've got a case of omphalitis (infected navel). That happens when the navel doesn't fully close at hatch allowing bacteria to enter and thrive in the moist, egg yolk rich, environment of the abdomen.  It is the number 1 killer of hatchery chicks and why the hatchery tries to keep sterile conditions.

If you see redness, puffiness, and swelling around the protruding vent, then a good dose of Vetrimycin or Chlorexhiderm on the vent area with antibiotics in the water is in order.

Latent bacterial infection can cause failure to thrive and chick loss over the next two weeks after delivery.

But again, if there are no signs of illness or infection, the chick has an "outie" which will become an "innie" vent in due time.

LofMc

That's good to know, it is red but not puffy and I have yet to witness her pooping, I've seen her try a few times but nothing successful...

One of my new ones has a prolapsed vent too
1f615.png
I've been using coconut oil since it was really all I have, hadn't thought about preparation H I'll have to try it. I only have the cooling kind, would that be ok to use? Hers stays in for a few minutes but that's it...

The phenylephrine will shrink the tissues. The witch hazel won't hurt. My version also had pramoxine as an active ingredient, which is a topical anesthetic...very helpful when they are straining and working against you trying to replace the tissues.

In addition to the prep H, I also used a water-based lubricant (similar to K-Y). Perhaps because its slipperiness is temporary (as opposed to oil-based) the vent was better able to stay in?

have a chick who's tail looks like it has been plucked out and bleeding. What do I do??? I have isolated her but not sure what else is needed. There doesn't seem to be any heavy bleeding, more like it was a little and then she was pecked at some.

have a chick who's tail looks like it has been plucked out and bleeding. What do I do??? I have isolated her but not sure what else is needed. There doesn't seem to be any heavy bleeding, more like it was a little and then she was pecked at some.

Clean and disinfect, then apply something like Blu-kote to prevent other chicks from bothering it.

I agree with treating them for cocci Better safe than sorry
a couple of ours have been having little diarrhea during the past few days with a couple spots of bloody diarrhea off the stick perch. Is this possible cocci? Should I try ACV in water. Where and how do I do the corrid? I've asked in this thread or another but this is different as I've seen bloody too now. Thx. (Anything natural or more effective)

thank you. Should treat entire flock? They are 10 days old.

Don't follow the dosage on the label. Corid is a cattle medication that is used on chickens off label... There are several threads on here where you can find the proper dosage. For the powder it 3/4-1.5 teaspoons per gallon. The liquid Corid has different dosage I think. I would treat the whole flock it won't hurt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom