First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Cuties!  

From what I know, JG should have yellow on the bottoms of their feet, and their eyes are almost entirely black, and their beak is black fading to a smidge of yellow on the very tip.  So according to those descriptions, it looks like you do have a possible JG on your hands.  They regularly are mis-sold as JG when they are actually Black Australorps.  A Black Australorp chick will have grey legs with white on the bottoms of their feet, also they are suppose to have white first feathers that will eventually molt into solid black.  JG are a breed that is somewhat endagered, am I correct?  So I would guess that improper breeding could play a role in that.  I could be that you do in fact have a JG, but perhaps just not from the most perfected line.  Not a bad thing!  She is a cutie!

I do not care what she is really, she (or he
1f62c.png
) is so cute and she matches my black lab and black cats lol! Mostly I just need to know if she is Alaska hearty. If JG are rare she probably is not JG as I got her at a swap meet from a nice lady that had at least 1000 chicks of the same breed. Thank you for all the info!!!! There is so much I want to Learn!!!

Last edited:
Finally got around to taking updated pic of the original crew out in their coop yesterday. With the helps of my little chicken wranglers, my girls love to help!

Here is Lucy, the BO, and then Ethel, the BR being chased by my daughter. They will somewhat run away from my girls, but they come right up to me and want to be held. And they follow me around everywhere.

And Rose, our stunning white EE. She is top chicken.

And not the best shot, but lastly is Lacey, the SLW.

I'm so bad, I went to pick up a new waterer for out in the run and I ended up buying two more babies!! My husband isn't going to like this when he gets home.

Meet Shellie

And Trixie

I'm so bad, I went to pick up a new waterer for out in the run and I ended up buying two more babies!! My husband isn't going to like this when he gets home.

Meet Shellie

And Trixie

You are not alone don't feel bad, my husband will find out about the 3 new ones when he gets home Wednesday. I'm just thankful our store is finally done with chicks, no more temptation...

These babies are about a week old +- a few days, so I have them in the coop but in a dog kennel to let them be familiar with the rest of the flock who are only 5ish weeks old. I figure after a week or so they may hang out with the big girls. I didn't think our store was gonna get anymore either. They are only getting them once a week to every other week now.

I wanted to give chicks a few days to settle. They are very skittish, should I go ahead and start handling them? Don't want to stress them too much.

I wanted to give chicks a few days to settle. They are very skittish, should I go ahead and start handling them? Don't want to stress them too much.

You can if you wish. When you pick them up, have your hand come at them from the side instead of from overhead so you don't look as much like a predator. Hold and pet until they are calm, then release. That way their last impression of you is a good one and they don't learn that struggling gets them released (or they'll do it even harder the next time). You can actually start offering them chick crumble from your hand while they are in the brooder...when you think they are ready for treats you can do it this way too. That way they come running to your hand when you put it down to the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom