First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Well we have been putting our 8 week olds with our 12 week olds in the run for several days under supervision and tonight I put them in the coop after the older ones were on the roost. Now just have to get up early enough to let them out.

Pretend you're the Pied Piper, but with treats instead of music. :) Teach them that a particular can/jug/tone of voice/catch-phrase/whatever means treats. Once they start mobbing you when you give the "signal", it will be very easy to get them to follow you wherever you want.

THANKS!I have been working on this. They now come running when i come to their gate. So tonight I'm gonna work on slowly letting them out around their "home and run" and hopefully in a week or 2 they'll be able to come and go.

Might I suggest, instead of a lamp, instead using a heating pad? I raise all my batches of chicks with Mama Heating Pad, even brooding them outside in the run from the start, and have been absolutely thrilled with the results. Heat lamps scare the peewadding out of me....chicks put out so much dust and dander that before you know what's happened the entire lamp is covered in a fine, grey powdery layer. Chicks not only tolerate a lot of cooler space, they need it! With a heat lamp everything gets heated - the walls, the floor, the brooder box, the feed and water, even the air and that dust settled on top of it. It's very difficult (although certainly not impossible if the brooder is big enough) to provide that cooler space. With Mama Heating Pad, the only thing that gets warm is the chicks when they scoot directly underneath into the cave. And I love that the chicks learn from day one that nighttime is dark and for sleeping, daytime is for playing, eating, and learning to be chickens! They sleep all night, from sundown to sunup! I think it makes for calmer chicks with less feather-pecking and noise, not to mention more sensible use of chick food because they aren't eating 24/7. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors There is a coop section tab in the upper section of the home page. And check out the Learning Center, also tabbed up there. We built a 6X8 shed style building and used cattle panels for the run. Love it...no problems at all. You can click on the My Coop link under my avatar, but there are so many other great coops and designs out there that should work very well for the number and size birds you are starting with. So the only advice I'll offer is to build as big as you can. If you're like most of us, those 9 chickens won't stay being only 9 chickens for long - you'll see a pretty chicken and think, "Oh, I need to get a couple of those..." Before you know it, 9 + just a couple of those = 20 chickens!! :lau I lied. I do have another piece of advice for you, Decide on a plan and start building before your chicks even get there. I didn't. I got the chicks first, long before I'd settled on a plan for a coop and started the building process. I ended up with 22 chicks in my house for 5 weeks and darn near butchered them to pass them off as Cornish Game Hens before we got the coop going and I evicted them. Some folks love having chicks in the house for weeks and weeks. I DON'T and I'll never do it again. Good luck with your new adventure!!
I have to say I love love your advice since I started to followed you my life has become so much calmer. So my advice to everyone to follow your simple solutions. I could go on and on but thank you.

I have to say I love love your advice since I started to followed you my life has become so much calmer.
So my advice to everyone to follow your simple solutions. I could go on and on but thank you
Yep! Listen to Blooie and Azygous and you can't go wrong!
bow.gif

I still consider myself a beginner, although with the help from BYC I am getting more knowledgeable. I have 2 Golden Sex Links (Merriweather and Flora) and 2 Cuckoo Marans (Fauna and Aurora) hens which were born Sept 1, 2015. I got them when they were a week old. All is going well, everyone is laying regularly. One of my Marans, Aurora, went broody a month or so ago and we couldn't break her so I bought a dozen hopefully fertile eggs for her to sit on. She has been doing really well, puffs up and gets very vocal but lets me pet her and feed her her favorite oatmeal. Sunday, day 20, I was cleaning the coop and heard peeping! I got her to stand up with some scratch and could see a couple of eggs with little chips. Yesterday, July 3 - day 21, we found 3 baby chicks!!! Unfortunatly, one did not make it but the other two seem to be doing well. We plan to give it one more day and then will remove the leftover eggs. Everyone is making so much noise, I couldn't hear if there was anything else going on but don't expect any more. We moved her and her nest box to my greenhouse for a while as we are leaving town and can't watch how the other hens react. I am hoping mama will continue taking care of them so I can watch her teach them. I'll post pictures when they move out from under her. Hope at least one of them is a hen as we can't have roosters here.

Finally got my first eggs from my girls! So excited!!!!

Yay!! Congratulations
wee.gif
It's so much fun.

We now have 4 little pullet eggs in a saucer on the kitchen counter. We can't seem to bring ourselves to eat them, we just sort of wander by and admire them. My younger son is talking about preserving/saving them in some way, any ideas on that?

Yay!!  Congratulations  :weee   It's so much fun. 

We now have 4 little pullet eggs in a saucer on the kitchen counter.  We can't seem to bring ourselves to eat them, we just sort of wander by and admire them.  My younger son is talking about preserving/saving them in some way, any ideas on that?

When I was a kid we used to make a pin hole on either end and blow out the inside, would that work? My hubby already ate ours
1f373.png

Beautiful yolk color and he said they were delicious!

Back
Top Bottom