First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Hi I have an issue I would like anyone's advice on. I have a group of nine six week old chicks with their mother hen and they are all quite well feathered now apart from their heads. Yesterday I noticed one of the chicks has a bald patch on the back of his head/top of his neck at the back which would have been fluffy not feathery. Its a clear strip of bald skin. How has this happened? Is it the fluff falling out, or has he been pecked by the others? Is this a sign of illness? I'm worried.
it may be where comb is developing. Not sound like pecking as its not bloody

Hi I have an issue I would like anyone's advice on. I have a group of nine six week old chicks with their mother hen and they are all quite well feathered now apart from their heads. Yesterday I noticed one of the chicks has a bald patch on the back of his head/top of his neck at the back which would have been fluffy not feathery. Its a clear strip of bald skin. How has this happened? Is it the fluff falling out, or has he been pecked by the others? Is this a sign of illness? I'm worried.

Well, I had a cockerel chick that was trying to mate his fellow chicks at 2 weeks old. Or it could be a bit of dominance play among the chicks. Keep an eye on it, but I don't think it's anything to worry about yet.

Some birds lose their fluff before their feathers come in. My Austrolorp Roo did that and had bald areas for a little while on his back right between the wings. As long as there is no sign of blood and you don't see any aggression towards it from another I wouldn't be worriedz

Probably not. I have 12 girls and 4-5 laying and we are well over 21 weeks. What are you feeding and what breeds do you have?
Buff Orpingtons and Plymouth Barred Rocks. They are eating organic layer. They have free choice Oyster shell and Adult sized grit. They get a treat of meal worms every other day and a treat of scratch or veggie scraps on alternating days.

They also get let out of the run and free range in the yard for a couple hours a day. We do have a Roo who is one month older that has begun mounting them, Not sure how successful he's been his aim seems to be very off. He will figure it out I am sure.

Thanks everyone for the replies. There is no blood or signs of injury or ill health so I'm hoping it's just where the fluff is making way for the feathers to come in. Its weird how only one of the chicks had this though. I'm keeping an eye on him but haven't seen any of the others picking on him. Will have to see if the feathers grow in the bald patch as normal!

Buff Orpingtons and Plymouth Barred Rocks. They are eating organic layer. They have free choice Oyster shell and Adult sized grit. They get a treat of meal worms every other day and a treat of scratch or veggie scraps on alternating days. 

They also get let out of the run and free range in the yard for a couple hours a day. We do have a Roo who is one month older that has begun mounting them, Not sure how successful he's been his aim seems to be very off. He will figure it out I am sure. 

With the light decreasing, it's getting to be the wrong time of year for them to start laying. If you can add light to the coop, you might be able to overcome it by putting a light on a timer to provide the additional...add the extra time onto the morning so they coop up properly at night. It doesn't have to be much light, strand of xmas lights works. Gradually increase the time the light is on until you are up to 14-16 hours of light in a day.

The proper daylength is important to stimulate the secretion of egg-laying hormones. I've noticed that my egg production is starting to drop off with the shortening of the days.

well, our chickens are 21 weeks.... not an egg yet. I'm starting to wonder if we have done something wrong. 
you didn't do anything wrong, they lay at own rate. Every book I've read and other egg folks, they do lay their first yr. Some don't lay until 30 weeks or later. I've got 15 layers at 21 wks (hatched 27 April) and only 4 were laying till last Thursday, now only a few more. Depends on breeds and environment they are in.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reassurances
smile.png
. I will talk to the husband about lighting.

Back
Top Bottom