First time Chicken’ing...

Aww! can we have clear, well lighted photo of each chick? how old are they? this BR looks a bit largely combed and wattled for a female under 6 wks.

I’ll get one this week for 4 weeks
I was worried about the blue orp being a boy since “she” barely has a tail feather but she’s lo smaller than the rest and is feathering much slower...
Not sure what largely combed and wattled means...something with feathers ?

I was worried about the blue orp being a boy since “she” barely has a tail feather but she’s lo smaller than the rest and is feathering much slower...
it means it is normally a cockerel attribute....or a young rooster.

Beautiful babies! And I love the jungle gym and swing :)

Are you still keeping them in the plastic tote? To me it looks way too small for them... why aren't they outside yet? Just curious.

Combs are the parts on the top of the head, they're spiky in your barred rock. The wattles are the dangly parts under the chin, but I don't see those in yours just yet. You can see the comb better in my girl here. The combs develop larger, faster in males than in females. Your little Barred Rock has a fairly large comb for its age, but single combs in general (the type your BR has) tend to develop faster. Keep an eye on its development, and hope that it doesn't start pinkening anytime soon, lol.
0252183B-AD27-4149-ABD3-4A1F7C3698D4.jpeg

Beautiful babies! And I love the jungle gym and swing :)

Are you still keeping them in the plastic tote? To me it looks way too small for them... why aren't they outside yet? Just curious.

Thanks. Have a video of one on swing but not sure why it won’t let me upload
They go between plastic tote and a dog cage. Getting big for tote I’m thinking one more week. Hoping to have run and coop complete soon, the rainy every other day NJ weather has been holding me back, it’s also still in low 50s at night and the small blue Orp is still not fully feathered..

Combs are the parts on the top of the head, they're spiky in your barred rock. The wattles are the dangly parts under the chin, but I don't see those in yours just yet. You can see the comb better in my girl here. The combs develop larger, faster in males than in females. Your little Barred Rock has a fairly large comb for its age, but single combs in general (the type your BR has) tend to develop faster. Keep an eye on its development, and hope that it doesn't start pinkening anytime soon, lol.View attachment 1770501

Ahhh ok thank you I’ll keep an eye and get better pics

I’m not as experienced as many others, so someone else may chime in and correct me, but your barred rock is still suspicious. You can see the little wattles coming in under his chin which at such a young age is not a good sign. I’ve only had the one barred rock, but my pullets that’s about twice his age doesn’t have them yet either. That said its coloring is dark and normally makes are lighter due to double barring so I’m still just suspicious of him. That’s the only one that is currently suspect for me, but as I said others might be able to better tell.

Back
Top Bottom