First time chicken owners

scarmody

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Euclid, OH
Hello - We are soon to be chicken owners, just receiving permission to house 4 hens. We live in Euclid, OH and have two children ages 7 and 9 who are very excited to have chickens!

After an exhaustive and very frustrating Internet search for a coop, we found a local feed store who has very sturdy coops for sale at a reasonable price. Hurrah! They also have four faverolles for sale. Are these a good breed for people who have kids and do they lay well? Also, what type of waterer and feeder do people prefer? I've heard that the galvanized waterers rust. Help!

Greetings from Oregon!
welcome-byc.gif
There's a wealth of information here at BYC. Put on a HUGE pot of coffee and plan on spending hours in here...best of luck in your new venture!

Hello, welcome! If you're have time before you actually get the chickens, maybe you can make your own coop and run. I first bought a coop (about $600), but it was pretty small and I can't always free range my chickens, so now i'm rebuilding a big coop and run where the girlies can run all day.

I use galvanized feeder and waterers, and I really like them. There's a "farm" near where I live, and they use galvanized feeders too, and they also use open plastic storage bins for the ducks (I don't really like using plastic though). Sorry, I forgot what the company is called, but it's just a normal galvanized waterer and feeder. The people at the feed store really helped me with all of this stuff.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/faverolles

Here's some information about the faveroll chicken.

:) Feel free to ask another question, about this or not!

Hello from England, Yorkshire,
I too am new to chicken keeping, but am loving it
I have 2 girls Winnie and Lavender , both give me a fresh egg nearly every day and are real characters, I converted an old shed as a coop.
Enjoy your girls:D

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! A great place to start is the BYC Learning Center, lots of nice articles on all aspects of poultry keeping you'll find helpful https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
I've found Faverolles to be very sweet birds, good pets, though not the best layers, the feathered feet can be a problem in bad/muddy weather ... chickenlover09 gave you the member reviews on them
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/ you might want to check the reviews on the feeders/waterers you are considering.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am not familiar with this breed. There will be others stopping by here to welcome you to BYC and may know more about them. Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of tips and hints on raising your new birds...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here. If you have any questions along the way, that is what we are here for. Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've never raised faverolles but I've heard they are sweet, quiet, affectionate, ok layers and very cute!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've never owned Faverolles personally, but a good friend and neighbor of mine raised them, and they are as calm and gentle a breed as you will find. His children made lap pets out of them. Also, they are decent layers. As far as waterers go, I prefer the galvanized feeders and waterers. They will eventually rust, but they last a long time and you can put a waterer heater under the galvanized waterers in cold winter areas to keep your water from freezing. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Faverolles as well as Silkies are very docile breeds that other chickens love to bully. They are good with children - would be good house pets or do well if separated from the meanies.

Back
Top Bottom