First-time chicken raiser, wanting to show off my coop (quite proud of it!) :)

I am a newbee and wanted to share and show off the coop that I had built! I am quite proud of it!

I had incorporated my chicken coop (about ~4' x ~13') under my shed that I had built last year. Maximizing the space, I positioned the shed at the edge of my level yard, to where I have a slopped wooded area where there is no lawn. I also utilized the space below to include a 16'x16' run for my 10 hens. I made 3 nesting boxes out of a pallet that I have at the bottom of the stairs, making it an easy go-and-grab for the eggs.

This is my first year raising chickens but they seem pretty happy! They've been delivering eggs regularly to me for the past 1-3/4 months. I also began letting them roam the wooded area, clearing out the overgrown stuff. Of course, I only do this when I am working nearby so that I can keep an eye on them from the predators.
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very creative use of space. Nice work. My first thought was concern for lack of ventilation .... but I see you have it there in the back / underneath. Very smart.
Yes. I did think it all out. The shed is 16’ wide but l have the nesting boxes on one end (about 12” deep) and a little storage cubby for food and other miscellaneous items on the other end that is about 18” deep. So, l have (6x) 2’ wide x 4” tall flap that l can close and lock independently for ventilation. I also scavenged up and repurposed those two old wooden windows for additional ventilation AND LIGHTING, ALL covered with chicken wire to protect them from any predators.
Knock on wood, but nothing got in yet including the hawk that was once seen sitting on top of the covered run or even the coyotes that were also spotted right outside of the run recently. 🤞🤞

Attachments

• 401932E9-5795-49FF-B2B8-7437E4405BF0.jpeg
    401932E9-5795-49FF-B2B8-7437E4405BF0.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 6
I get something stouter...many preds can rip thru chicken wire.
I considered it all. I get that any predator will have a difficult time getting into the run, yet alone the coop.
I used 1/2”x1/2” welded chicken wire around the bottom portion of the run plus the entire entrance gates. For the top portion, it is the thinner 1” chicken wire, but less likely to serve as an entrance attempt by any predator.

Attachments

• A0F09BDD-8F10-43A9-940F-BFB326DAF636.png
    A0F09BDD-8F10-43A9-940F-BFB326DAF636.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
I considered it all. I get that any predator will have a difficult time getting into the run, yet alone the coop.
I used 1/2”x1/2” welded chicken wire around the bottom portion of the run plus the entire entrance gates. For the top portion, it is the thinner 1” chicken wire, but less likely to serve as an entrance attempt by any predator.
That's fine as long as you know.
The 1/2" stuff is mostly known as hardware cloth.

Chicken wire, hardware cloth, welded wire.......
Sighs......
Your coop and run are nice and something to be proud of.
Congrats on thinking it thru.
I have ALL of the wire on my coop. Welded and hardware around bottom 4 ft,.then welded and chicken wire around the other 5 ft.
I also have sighs.....
Cattle panel and chain link fence for run . When I realized babies fit thru that, I put chicken wire inside 4 ft up and 4ft apron, buried in run.
In 2cyears nothing has breached coop or run. Be watchful, if c you see an issue, deal with it. And again congrats on a well thought out plan

The lower stuff is Hardware Cloth. The upper right is Chicken Wire.
Hardware Cloth is widely recommended. Chicken Wire is weak and can be broken by predators.
Just so you know the difference :)

I am a newbee and wanted to share and show off the coop that I had built! I am quite proud of it!

I had incorporated my chicken coop (about ~4' x ~13') under my shed that I had built last year. Maximizing the space, I positioned the shed at the edge of my level yard, to where I have a slopped wooded area where there is no lawn. I also utilized the space below to include a 16'x16' run for my 10 hens. I made 3 nesting boxes out of a pallet that I have at the bottom of the stairs, making it an easy go-and-grab for the eggs.

This is my first year raising chickens but they seem pretty happy! They've been delivering eggs regularly to me for the past 1-3/4 months. I also began letting them roam the wooded area, clearing out the overgrown stuff. Of course, I only do this when I am working nearby so that I can keep an eye on them from the predators.
Wish I had your building skills!!! That looks great and those are some pretty looking chickens and pretty lucky ones to have you!

Back
Top Bottom