First time egg hatcher! Need help!

mummyof4

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
I currently have 4 eggs in the incubator.
We are on day 7, I've just candled them....
2 eggs I can quite clearly see the red veins, 1 seems to be a floating yolk (should I dump this one?) and the 4th one all I can see is a dark patch at the back of the egg but I can't work anything out if I turn the egg round (do I dump this one?)

I've been searching online and can find plenty of photos of 'good' eggs but no photos of 'bad' eggs so I don't know :/

Thank you

No they don't smell at all. If I leave them in and they are bad will they harm the 2 developing eggs?

Umm, if the egg is clear throw it out. Don't leave it in the incubator to contaminate the other eggs.

UPDATE:

The 2 eggs that had the veins seem to have really developed overnight
1f633.png
Either that or they have just become more visible. I can quite clearly see a dark shape with the red veins coming off in both eggs and I think I saw a heartbeat or some kind of movement in one of them. Is that possible this early?

The floating yolk egg is still the same so I'm guessing infertile.

The 4th egg i still can't work out what is going on in there, I'm sure I can see something hiding in there but can't be 100% sure.

Fingers crossed the first 2 eggs continue to develop
1f606.png

Good luck with your incubated eggs, ive never used an incubator, I always let the mum duck sit and raise the ducklings herself, so I wouldn't know much about brooders, hopeful you'll get some ducklings!

Quote: actually if an infertile egg is incubated at about the same amount as a fertile egg and remains the constant incubating temperture is gets toxic, by that i mean it has the potential to build up so much gas inside of it that it will (in a basic sense) explode from pressure, and this can and will cause problems for the hatching ducklings around the infertile egg.

Also I would like to say that right before hatch some eggs do start to smell alittle wonky.

Last edited:
actually if an infertile egg is incubated at about the same amount as a fertile egg and remains the constant incubating temperture is gets toxic, by that i mean it has the potential to build up so much gas inside of it that it will (in a basic sense) explode from pressure.......

That's about the silliest thing I've read today, thanks for the laugh.

Back
Top Bottom