First time ever hatch and got 100% hatch...*pics added*

tmb3fan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Central Mississippi
This was my first time ever time to hatch eggs, so I used some of my own. I put 3 BO and 3 EE eggs in a 25 year old hova bator on Jan. 25th around 3pm. The chicks started hatching completely out on Saturday Feb. 14 around 4pm. That is exactly the 20 days. The last of the 6 hatched 24 hours later than the first one. All are in the brooder eating, drinking and sleeping.

I used a still air hova bator, that my Grandfather used for quail about 25 years ago. It had been in an outside shed all this time and covered in dirt. I didn't even know the air holes were in the top until I got it cleaned, and then I had to take a screwdriver and poke all the mud out of them.

My humidity was around 33 - 35% through most of the hatch. Sometimes I would add a little to much water and it would go up to 40-45%, but it came back down by the next day. I had a couple of times that it dropped to 20-25% and the temps got up, but I caught it pretty quickly. On the 18th day, I added water to get the humidity up to 70%. It fluctuated from 65 -70 before they started hatching. Oh, I candled probably 5 times (first time so couldn't help myself) and turned the eggs 3 times a day the first week and a half and then 2 times a day until day 18. I wasn't home for the middle of the day turn, during the second half.

Hopefully they will all stay healthy.
Thank You to everyone who provides great info on this website! I definately couldn't have done it without you.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

Thats amazing that a Hova that old, being outside all this time, was still accurate enough to give you a good hatch. That says a lot about Hovas. You should email them and let them know.

First five with one hiding it's face.
13602_img_9621.jpg

Same first five, but can't get them all to look at the camera.
13602_img_9623.jpg

The is the last of the 6 to hatch. He is now doing well in the brooder with the others.
13602_img_9626.jpg

Well done!!!!!!
smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png

I can never get a whole batch to hatch. I always leave it in my hens hands (wings) to take care of. As soon as there is a weak egg, she breaks it and eats it!!!! That maybe explains why not all of the eggs get to hatch.....

Anyway. I am so happy for you. Keep up the good work.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom