First Time Hatch! Help Please!

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I did find some great advise on the duck forum, and when I checked on the egg this morning, the pip was MUCH longer, so I guess it is finally zipping. Should I peel back the membrane? The duckling is trying to poke it's bill through, and there's no blood veins or anything in the membrane. Here's a picture from when it first pipped:

Sorry about the bad quality! The air hole was about the size of a grain of rice.
And here's a picture of the egg this morning:

You can see it's little bill! It's also chirping a few times every minute or so. So what should I do? Just leave it???

How exciting! I would say since its starting to make progress on his own to let him be a while. I checked two of mine today and they've internally pipped and are chirping like crazy!!

All right! Thanks for the advise! What temperature do you recommend? I've read many different things, and none of them seem to agree.

Um, well I'm actually not even using an incubator. I incubated these ducklings in a tupperware container under a heat lamp.

Hehe, yeah. I honestly didn't even know anything about incubating when I started, and by the time I read about needing an incubator, it was too late, because they were already almost fully developed. But I guess I just proved that you don't have to use an incubator...
smile.png

He still hasn't unzipped any further, and it looks like he's stuck in that position. It keeps trying to poke it's whole bill through the membrane (which is vein-free) so should I peel it back? Or should I help him unzip?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom