First time hatching and Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect

Please, ask any question you would like, especially the ones that may help me!!!
The humidity in my home is around 40-45%. I live in Oklahoma. Without any water in my incubator, the new hygrometer is reading 53% and the internal one is reading 43%. I have read the BCM needs a dryer atmosphere to flourish so I am concerned.
I have a thread here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-right-whos-wrong-no-one/15840#post_15727285 I started with fellow BYCer scflock, it's about peoples differences in how they hatch, but he is in the middle of doing a BCM hatch using a lower humidity because he was told the same after his first try yielded less than he would have liked. We have many knowledgeable people on the thread that would be more than happy to share their experiences with you. One of our girls used a carbon product I believe it was that she found at the dollar store to lower the humidity in her bator. I know it was working for a while, but I can't remember the overall outcome. You are more than welcome to join us over there and ask away. In between serious chicken discussions we do a lot of goofing off and get a little crazy, but we quickly shift gears to help others.

Have you checked either hygrometer for accuracy and do you know how to monitor your air cells for growth?

I have a thread here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-right-whos-wrong-no-one/15840#post_15727285 I started with fellow BYCer scflock, it's about peoples differences in how they hatch, but he is in the middle of doing a BCM hatch using a lower humidity because he was told the same after his first try yielded less than he would have liked. We have many knowledgeable people on the thread that would be more than happy to share their experiences with you. One of our girls used a carbon product I believe it was that she found at the dollar store to lower the humidity in her bator. I know it was working for a while, but I can't remember the overall outcome. You are more than welcome to join us over there and ask away. In between serious chicken discussions we do a lot of goofing off and get a little crazy, but we quickly shift gears to help others.

Have you checked either hygrometer for accuracy and do you know how to monitor your air cells for growth?
I have not checked the hygrometer for accuracy. I did look at all the hygrometers in Petco when I bought it two days ago and bought one that was agreeable with two of the five others, LOL. I will probably check it today now that it has been in with the eggs for awhile.
thumbsup.gif

Seriously, am I expected to start at page 1 on that huge thread?? I feel overwhelmed looking at 1500-plus!

I have not checked the hygrometer for accuracy. I did look at all the hygrometers in Petco when I bought it two days ago and bought one that was agreeable with two of the five others, LOL. I will probably check it today now that it has been in with the eggs for awhile.
thumbsup.gif
I would definitely start there, then proceed with checking the air cells to see how they are growing and getting some ideas on how to lower the humidity if those readings are accurate. Some people have had success using rice in the bator or unpopped popcorn, others swear that doesn't work. Some have put a dehumidifier in the room with the bator, but if you don't already have one- those things are costly! I've also heard that one of the chemicals that are used in pools may help to bring it down....

Oh-oh-oh-oh I started tryin to figure when I finished filling the bator and the last egg to go in went in on 8/13, so 8/14 is the start date for them to be locked down. I can candle all of them on the 21st and may try again after that. September 8th is when I give up.
ARGH. I just finished taking all the eggs off the turner and adding water to the reservoir so I need to X the ones after the 14th? Oh, I am confused! bad bad bad. poor baby chickens if there Are any baby chickens! I sure hope I get better at this!!!

Well, tomorrow is lockdown for the single surviving Serama egg. Candled last night, and I still don't know what I'm looking at. There was barely any movement, and he doesn't seem to take up as much of the egg as I thought he would. I'm not expecting much, but so far nothing screams "quitter" as far as I know, so fingers crossed! I have another 23 eggs set and due for lockdown soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom