First time hatching. Does this look right?

Jun 20, 2019
Mississippi
DC16BC1B-975B-4058-9350-8DAD397EE8F8.jpeg

Here’s an update. I don’t think there’s any progress after 4-5 hours. At what point do I try to help? The chick is chirping and rocking the egg but it isn’t making the hole any bigger.

View attachment 2761487
It can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatch. Try to hang in there. Everything seems to be okay for now.

It can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatch. Try to hang in there. Everything seems to be okay for now.
I’m usually patient. But this is our only egg out of 12 shipped eggs that has pipped and I really want it to make it. It was the smallest and dirtiest egg too.

I have some 3-4 day old chicks in the brooder. If and when this one hatches will it be ok to put it in with the rest

I’m usually patient. But this is our only egg out of 12 shipped eggs that has pipped and I really want it to make it. It was the smallest and dirtiest egg too.

I have some 3-4 day old chicks in the brooder. If and when this one hatches will it be ok to put it in with the rest
Sorry to hear :(

Unfortunately, there’s really nothing you can do right now but wait. This period is a quiet but critical one where the last bit of yolk is being absorbed and the blood vessels recede. There’s not much you can do to help until that process is done.

The good news is, the chick has full access to air, and has the luxury to take its time for the final preparations.

When the chick is ready, it will chirp and struggle to make that final zip and pop out of the shell.

In my first hatch I had one pip completely on the wrong end. I was biting my nails the whole time, waiting for the moment I would need to step in and help it out. It turns out I didn’t need to worry at all, she hatched herself just fine :)

Oh, and if the pip missed the airsac, the chick will need up to 48 hours to hatch due to making a simultaneous internal and external pip!

Back
Top Bottom