First time hatching duck eggs and need some help!

BookWorm243

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Franklin, NC
Hello!
We recently adopted three ducks 1 Male Pekin, 1 Female Pekin, and 1 Female Mallard. We decided to collect there eggs to set in the incubator. We ended up setting 9 eggs on March 26th, 6 Pekin eggs and 3 Pekin/Mallard eggs!! We are now on day 17 and they are all doing great!!! But I have noticed something while candling them. The 3 Pekin/Mallard eggs are developing faster then the Peking eggs. When I candle the Pekin/Mallard eggs there isn't to much to see. The egg at this point is very dark. I can make out a dark mass where the chick is, the veins, and you can still see them move. When I candle the Pekin eggs it is very different. It is still pretty light, I can see the veins, and the chick moving around in there. There just seems to be a lot more room to grow. They are alive and developing but the Mallard/Peking eggs seem to be developing a lot faster them the Pekin eggs. I was told that Mallard and Peking eggs take 25-28 days to develop, it that right? Does that change when the eggs are a Mallard/Pekin mix?? I am just worried that the Mallard/Pekin eggs will hatch before the Pekin eggs do. Any help would be great!

Thank You!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom