First time hatching ducklings, experts needed

jmofaustin

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Just wondering if I should hear something from the eggs like how chicks peep when they are hatching. I have never hatched ducklings before.

I am on day 25 and moved them to the hatcher, on the way to the hatcher I noticed they already broke through the air cell, so when should I be expecting?

Yes, ducks do cheep just like chicks. If they have already pipped internally, you can expect them anytime in the next 1-3 days. Now is the time when everyone will say..."Step away from the bator". You can spend this time getting their brooder set up and figuring out how you're going to keep their bed dry (cuz they love to slop in water). Hope you have a great hatch!
jumpy.gif

Jody

Jmo.....for the baby ducks....you will need to put them on soe sort of wire floor.....and a tub under them to catch all the sloppy water....If you can make a screen floor, even better! Just make sure they have plenty water. I raised 5 last spring....only 2 made it...Hawks got the others.
sad.png
They sure are messy, but now they think I am momma, and come when I call them. SO much fun! Enjoy!

Hatched last night
love.gif
and I thought baby chicks were the cutest things in the world. It looks like it might be a mallard. I collected a couple of eggs from a pond that had mallards, runners, and muscovies. There was no movement in the other 2 eggs, I hope she will get along with the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom