TattooedChickenPapa

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Okay, so I have a Serama I gave 6 eggs to (all have survived thus far🎊🥳) and are due this weekend.
I. Am. A. Nervous. Wreck.
Obviously I have been reading, doing research, watching YouTube videos, and reading threads on here but I'm so happy, and excited, and utterly terrified/worried.
I'm so scared about getting a shrink wrapped or sticky chick and what to do and when to intervene, or if I should intervene, should I let the Mama, Ms. Nyx handle anything that comes along, because most of the hatching stuff I see is for people with incubators instead of a hen
*deep inhale* I'm freaking out a little bit of you can't tell😅
Any advice from anyone and everyone would be great and very much, extremely appreciated

Let it happen naturally. If they are under then hen, leave them there. Don’t mess with the eggs. This is a process that has been happening for a very long time. Sometimes there are issues, but that’s life. If under a hen, the hen will do what is needed/possible. Intervening is more likely possible when in incubator. But that’s just my advice.

What can you tell us about your set-up? Is she hatching with your flock or is she isolated? What does her nest look like? Is it elevated or at ground level? A photo would be nice. Will she raise them with the flock or do you plan on isolating her and the chicks? It's easier to get specific if I know what you are working with.

I mainly asked these questions to see if you can calm down and rationally answer the questions. We may have some advice based on your answers.

The weekend is still a few days away but I do have one specific suggestion. Get a bowl of vanilla ice cream, chop up a favorite fruit, put the fruit on top of the ice cream, and chill. Find something to keep you occupied while you leave that hen alone. Even with experience you are more likely to cause damage than help if you interfere. I've been doing this for years. Your hen knows more by instinct her first time than I ever will.

There is nothing wrong with watching from a distance as long as you can keep your hands to yourself. It is an exciting time.

What can you tell us about your set-up? Is she hatching with your flock or is she isolated? What does her nest look like? Is it elevated or at ground level? A photo would be nice. Will she raise them with the flock or do you plan on isolating her and the chicks? It's easier to get specific if I know what you are working with.

I mainly asked these questions to see if you can calm down and rationally answer the questions. We may have some advice based on your answers.

The weekend is still a few days away but I do have one specific suggestion. Get a bowl of vanilla ice cream, chop up a favorite fruit, put the fruit on top of the ice cream, and chill. Find something to keep you occupied while you leave that hen alone. Even with experience you are more likely to cause damage than help if you interfere. I've been doing this for years. Your hen knows more by instinct her first time than I ever will.

There is nothing wrong with watching from a distance as long as you can keep your hands to yourself. It is an exciting time.
She's hatching in a nesting box attached to coop and is a blend of fine shavings and hemp straw, with the rest of the flock. I intend on isolating Mama and the chicks from the rest of the flock as it is a mix of bantam and full size hens. I have built a brooder for them to sleep in at and a run for them during the day. I figured I just needed to chill and let Mama handle it, just like you said.

Back
Top Bottom