First time hatching in a homemade incubator

VooDoo Wings

Hatching
Apr 4, 2016
Just put my first batch of eggs in my homemade incubator. Eggs are mostly lavender orpingtons with some buff/ lavender mixes also.

Here's a rundown of the set up. I converted an old entertainment center. Heat source is 3 125 watt heat lamp bulbs along the bottom. Small fan blowing across bulbs. Fan shuts off when thermostat kicks off. Inside lined with foil covered bubble wrap style insulation. Several glass jars for heat sinks. Digital thermostat set to kick off at 99.7 and kick on at 98.7. Incubator warehouse digital thermometer / hygrometer is showing high of 100 and low of 98.9. Humidity is currently 36%. For the heat cycle, once the thermostat shuts off it takes about 45 seconds to cool down to 98.7 and kick back on. It takes 20 seconds to get back up to 99.7. The one thing I don't have is a water wiggler or something to use to simulate inside egg temp. I'm hoping my temp settings will keep the eggs at right temp until I can locate a wiggler to use.

Any thoughts? If anyone sees anything that sounds bad let me know. I want this hatch to be successful.

Back
Top Bottom