First time hatching.

now thats near to march so got my incubator ready for hatching
I hatched 12 chicks last year
6 eggs were from a 7 years old aseel pair and6 eggs were from a ko shamo pair
12/12 eggs hatched
giving me a 100% hatch rate
big_smile.png

Im expecting my second hatch with my homemade bator on the 21st. I only have 10 eggs in this time. My temp has steadily been 99 yo 100. My humidity has stayed between 20 and 31... What do yall think?

Quote:
Im expecting my second hatch with my homemade bator on the 21st. I only have 10 eggs in this time. My temp has steadily been 99 yo 100. My humidity has stayed between 20 and 31... What do yall think?
I tried to keep mine at 100, and I left the humidity at 35% or lower for the first 17 days, then let it come up, and so far it is looking like I am going to have a good hatch! Just try to keep it that range, and be sure to raise humidity near the end and it seems like they do well

Only one hatched last night, reckon he or she might need some breakfast, the rest are pipping now.

Last edited:
Thanks Gypsi. I am going to keep my fingers crossed. Incubating is fun but also so stressful. Lol. Post pics of your hatch.
1f601.png

will do once more are out, 3 are hatched and at least 3 shells have holes in them. figure there is a minimum of one dud in there out of a dozen (I candled the white ones yesterday, one looks pretty gloppy by flashlight, but leaving in there just in case it is the flashlight operator's error)

I believe the trip to 113 degrees on last Monday was what killed most of my non hatching dozen.  3 sank in the water float test, one wasn't fertile, the other 2 chicks ran out of air from my low temps and excessive humidity. the other 9 have airspace and my guess is would have hatched if not for the temp spike, of the 6 that did hatch, that is about how many would not have been too close to the lightbulb and wouldn't have gotten hot enough.  I lost 1, which leaves me with 5. I am getting another dozen eggs for my new bigger incubator but I need a thermostat that I can plug a light fixture into I think. Does anyone have suggestions?

I found a thermostat intended for a horticulture heat mat that I hooked up to my bator about halfway through my first hatch. Made a huge difference! Couldn't keep it even from night to day even with the room temp being at an almost constant. As it was my initial temp was low and I had a late hatch.

Built my own incubator out of styrofoam cooler, led light, and used a reptile thermometer. We put 5 eggs in, kept the humidity at 55 and temp between 100.5 - 102. Last three days of incubation we raised the humidity to 70. 5 hatched, 4 chicks survived and doing well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom