First time Hatching

knightie

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Okay, I've a first time hatcher. I got a still air incubator from a friend but it was a mess, so I took the guts and made a box. I got it all ready, steady temps... then put in my eggs (my own eggs from my pekin make and cayuga females.) Less that 24 hours after I have a spike of 111! I misted them got the temp adjusted (took two days they temps droped to 94 at one point but were between 95 99 finally got it 100 to 101. I decided I had probably killed them but would wait until day 10 for sure. I got a wild hair and decided to put my led light on the eggs while they sat in the turner. I found veins in the first one! (so I had to check the others and out of 7 I found 4 with veins and 3 I couldn't see anything in.

Here is the first one...

This is one of the ones I didn't see anything in it...

And this one is different I see veins but no like the others....

So since the temp spike was early and I have all this veining... I've got at least some that made it... right?

Well that is the temp in a water wiggler with a probe inserted, so that's pretty much internal egg temp <with a little variance since It doesn't have a 'shell'

Oh thats not good. I'm glad they are home grown eggs. Since you have great pics to compare
woot.gif
you should be able to tell at 5 days if they are continuing to develop or if, they are done. Did you calibrate your thermometer & hygrometer before you set eggs?

Sorry things have been crazy here.... those pictures were candles about day 5 I think.... I'm set to go into locdown Tuesday morning.... I had 2 eggs that were clear and when I opened them they didn't appear to be fertile... (one might have been but....didn't really look it) so everything looks good. And yes I had calibrated the thermometers.

Back
Top Bottom