first time incubating eggs

iamnanaof2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
one of the brown eggs is leaking white from a hairline crack. is it still viable? Got fertilized eggs from neighbor and believe this egg was most likely on it's second week. Feel I am making many mistakes. Help!

Hi :welcome If it were me I would remove the egg from the incubator NOW it could explode if it is leaking and cracked this could contaminate the rest of your hatch. I am sure your not doing everything wrong hatching is a learning process. Good info on the home page in learning centre on incubating and hatching.:frow

Thank you for your advice, removing egg now. I have made my incubator. Having a problem keeping moisture in it. I have been moistening the eggs by sprinkling water on them to try to keep them moistened. Is this wrong to do?

Sorry have no experience of home made so please bear with me. What kind of eggs are they? If they are chicken I would not spray water on them. You need some thing to put the water in you need surface area not depth so I would suggest a damp wet cloth or sponge with warm water. What is the temp? Do you have a hygrometer to measure humidity? Is the incubator still air or forced air(fan)? What day are you on and have you candled? Sorry for all the questions but need some back ground as to your set up.

temp is staying between 97 and 100 degrees, humidity is at 46 right now, but has been down to 35%. Still air incubator. I have candled when I got them, not sure what day they are on because neighbor gave them to me after they were not gathered for a week. Some seemed more mature than others, so, I am estimating. Got them on the 15th of August. Can candling them give me a better idea of age?

Still air you need to take the temp at the top of the eggs I would try and up it slightly. The humidity should be ok you need an average of 45% day 1-18. Then 65% for lockdown. Had the eggs already been sat on by a broody hen. Otherwise you should only be on day4/5 if you set them on the 15th which would not show that much when you candle. Have a look at some candling pics they are on here somewhere. Then you should be able to estimate how developed they are. Hope this helps a bit.:frow

Have thermometer at egg height, will up the temp a little. Yes eggs were under brooder. Thanks again for your help and am candling now and comparing with pictures.

The one I am presently candling I think is around day ten. So happy it is moving inside. Having a little trouble with comparing to pictures while it's moving.

Glad to hear you have seen movement try to go with what you feel is right. Have you been turning yours eggs? You need to turn at least 3 times a day 5 is better. Also with one egg having a crack make sure you check your others for cracks. Is this your first time incubating?

Yes I have been turning the eggs 3 to 5 times a day. Yes, this is my first time incubating, New question, one egg is starting to stink. Does that mean it is going bad? Should I dispose of it?

Back
Top Bottom