First time incubating emu egg

dimitrischri

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2017
Cyprus/limassol
Hi. Ive purchased an emu egg from a local breeder. And im going to incubate it, what is the right temp and humidity for it , and how long is the egg fertile because he told me that the egg its 2 weeks old , how many times it has to turn over the day and when do i stop turning the egg ( because ive read that they can be hatched from day 45 to day 59) the egg is 598grams.
Thank you !

Last edited:
This is my first time with emus too, I have three on day 34 today.
Your egg should be fine if it is fertile, I saw someone recently on here that hatched two month old eggs. They need temperatures between 95 and 97 degrees F, and the humidity should be something around 30%. The best way to determine if humidity is correct is to weigh them weekly, with a goal for weight loss of 15% by hatch time as they lose water during development and the air cell grows. I turn mine at midnight, 8 am, noon, 4 pm, and 8 pm each day, and I'm not yet sure when to stop as hatch times are dependent on incubation temperature seemingly more so than chickens; I know of one person on this site who didn't stop turning their egg until it hatched.

Good luck, and enjoy the stress of not knowing whether your egg is alive or not for a month or more!

Back
Top Bottom