First time incubating questions

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
I have the Brinsea Mini II Advance Automatic to hatch some Mille Fleur d'uccle bantam eggs! I have some questions before I incubate the eggs tomorrow!

1. What settings should the incubator be on to start with? Current settings are:
Temperature: 99.5F (37.5C)
Remaining Days: 21
Turning Mode: Auto
Turning Interval: 60 minutes
Turning Angle: 5 seconds
Periodic Incubation Cooling: OFF (I read to turn this ON on day 7 of incubating for 60mins)

2. When placing the bantam eggs in the incubator, should the pointy side be facing inward or outward?

3. If I use a digital thermometer with a probe, where do I insert the probe or do I place the entire thermometer inside the incubator? Where do I place the hygrometer?

4. I read that shipped eggs should rest for 24hrs. I left the eggs alone after removing all the packaging materials and its sitting in an egg carton with the pointy side down. Are they supposed to rest like that?

5. What's that beeping noise that occurs every couple hours? I don't think its the temperature alarm.

6. Is there anything I should do differently because its a bantam egg instead of a standard egg? Any breed specific changes?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

- Temperature: 99.5-100 degrees F or 37.5-37.7 degrees C
- Humidity: 50%, increase to 65% on the lockdown days.
- Days: 21-23
- Turning: Manually or Auto, about 3-5 times per day
- Turning Interval: At least 3-5 times every 24 hours
- Turning Angle: About 40 degrees, the egg turner will help with this.
- Periodic Incubation Cooling: 30 Minutes each day starting on day 7 of incubation period

2. The pointy end should be facing down if you have an egg holder. If the eggs are laying on their side, the eggs need to have the pointy side facing inward and the round end facing the outside of the incubator.

3. the Hydrometer and Temperature reader should be on the inside of the incubator.

4. Shipped eggs need to sit for about 24 hours, with the point end facing down and the large end facing up.

5. The beeping that might come from the temperature inside the incubator being off, or the eggs being turned.

6. There's really nothing you have to do differently with Bantam eggs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some articles you can read about incubating Bantam eggs:

1. Bantam Chickens: Breeds, Egg Laying, Size and Care Guide
2. Hatching Eggs at Home: A 21-Day Guide for Baby Chicks
3. The Complete Chick Care Guide
4. How to Keep Chickens: Tips and Walkthrough
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps!

Last edited:
i would get a couple of small self contained temp/humidity gauges on ebay and place them near the eggs. at egg level, at different spots in the incubator ... get an average of the temps and shoot for 99-100f ... if the units temp reading disagrees i would ignore it and just use it as a reference to set the temp .. humidityisnt as critical, have some water present, basically you dont want it dry heat or flooded, somewhere inbetween is fine, temp is way more important ... and i wouldnt wait to start eggs, the longer you wait the less that will make it, way i see it .. and dont open and mess with the bator too much, just to add water or rearrange gauges etc .. i see alot of people freaking out and candling everyday blah blah ... theyre killing more eggs than helping imo .. get it set up and let it do its thing .. add water when it drys up and keep a close eye on temps ...

Back
Top Bottom