First time incubating with incubator - need help with humidity issues

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I made a homemade incubator from a glass aquarium.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19548-homemade-incubator
I live in the desert where it's dry and have a few humidity questions.

How do you keep the humidity high in the last few days?
I've been trying to keep mine at 30%-35% (on day 15 now), but have to work at keeping the humidity above 30 degrees. I currently have a large tupperware dish at the bottom (measures 6" x 10") that is always filled with water AND a small bowl in there that I add water to PLUS I constantly run a room humidifier in the room that the incubator is in. I would think the humidity would be higher than 30-32 (which is where it's been lately) with all that water around. In fact, it shows 30 degrees now and it's even raining outside. Am I allowing too much ventilation? You can see my BYC page for incubator set-up, but it doesn't show the 2nd bowl of water.

I'm sure I can add a few more small bowls of water to the bottom of the incubator on day 18, but am worried it won't get up to 65% - is it safe to close off ALL the vents?

What do you measure the humidity with?

I have been using two brand new hydrogemeters (acurite & springfield) and even though the temps vary between them, the humidity readings have always been within a degree of each other. Since they show the same humidity readings, I have been assuming they are accurate. Last night, I used a BYC suggestion of testing the accuracy by putting 1/2 cup of salt into a 1/2 cup of water (in a mug) and then placing the mug and the hydrogemeter into a large ziploc plastic bag. Supposedly the humidity should measure 75 after 12 hours. My springfield is only measuring 65 degrees after 12 hours. Is this test not accurate or are both my humidity measurers 10% off!

I am using a lightbulb dimmer instead of a thermostat and so far, it has worked well (as of day 15, I have 18 out of 20 fertile eggs developing on schedule). But.... will I need to adjust the heat again when I increase the humidity? If so, would I need to increase or decrease the heat as the humidity rises?

I add wet sponges for the last 3 days if needed. Also when needed I have closed all vents, and still had good hatches, although I don't know if you are "Supposed" to. And I use the $7 digital thermometer/hygrometer from walmart. I think most people use sponges on the last 3 days if they have trouble keeping humidity up, just make sure they are new sponges.

i used the salt and water trick, to check my springfield and it was close. but if its like mine ( with thermometer also) twist the holder on the back of the hydrometer to calibrate it to 75 %-- then your set .

To increase the humidity you need to increase the surface area of the water. Depth of water doesn't really matter except for giving you a reserve of water to evaporate...it's the surface area that matters. Replace with a larger pan of water or either add another pan. Sheets of paper towel draped into the the water container and hung over the side will act as a wick and draw water into the towel creating more wet surface area...same with sponges. If the aquarium is water-tight and there is no danger of a bit of water getting to any electrical parts you could simply pour some water into the bottom of the aquarium.

You could also set a few large bowls of water around the *outside* of the incubator, too. Some people run a humidifier is they need to.

As for the temperature being affected by the higher humidity....just watch it and see how it does. I've seen several places that recommended dropping the temperature up to a degree during hatch. I'm thinking the higher humidity drops the temperature a bit.

I've also heard of folks lightly misting the eggs to get the humidity level up, especially after candling, etc.,.

Hope some of this helps,
Best wishes on your hatch!!!
Ed

I stumbled on a really terrific way to boost humidities. Go to walmart and buy a humidifier replacement filter. I had one that is circular. Anyway, I tore it into 4 pieces. Two I laid flat in a shallow tray and tge other two I stood up on edge--one wicked water ip from the tray it was standing in. The other was standing on edge under a vent incase I needed more help. Beyond that it also helped to be in my DH's closet off the master bath where I could run the shower a couple of minutes if I needed. Worked like a charm.

I love BYC! You people are so knowledgable. I am trying to get my bator put together now and as I also live in the desert, I have been combing the forum looking for info. Thanks. These are all really great ideas. Good luck on your hatch, AZDC
wink.png

I use the egg trays you can get for the fridge. (The ones without the holes) They are small flat with lots of surface area. Either that or ice cube trays.... you can fill up more cubes with water as you need more humidity
big_smile.png

As for measuring humidity i have a reptile 'dial' style thermometer/hygrometer i got for a few quid.... it works brilliantly.

Thanks for all the tips & advice - it looks like it is safe to close off all the vents at lockdown? Tons of good ideas for increasing humidity - very helpful. I think I will try slightly adjusting the dimmer right before lockdown and then watching it closely.

I guess I'm wondering how accurate the salt water test is - my hygrometer is off 10 percent, which I wouldn't have a problem with, except that means that both my springfield AND my acurite are off 10%. Could they both be that far off? If so, I've been keeping my incubator at 40-45% instead of 30-35%, like I was aiming for. I put 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup salt into a mug and place the mug & the hygrometer into a ziploc bag for 12 hours - I then tried it again with less water (1/4 c. water & 1/2 c. salt) and placed them inside two ziploc bags (for extra insulation). Both times, the springfield measured 65%.

Back
Top Bottom