First time letting broody hen hatch eggs - advice please

Im also hatching my first time. My hen is sitting on 23 eggs and is on day 13. I just went to check on her and 2 eggs were missing whilst one was deep under the hay and was cold. The hay had some blood and yolk on it. I wiped all the eggs with a dry clean sock. I didnt try to rub off the dried yolk which had stuck to some off the eggs shells. Is it ok if i leave them like that?
Could it be my hen who ate the eggs or mice?
I noticed no left over shells so who ever ate it, ate all of it!
I also candled the eggs and all had developed. About 18 were ceftainly moving and rest 3 i was unsure of but still left them in.

Welcome to BYC! I don't have any advice because I have my first broody sitting on eggs as well. Coincidentally, she is also on day 13, so we'll have to compare notes.
1f60a.png
Mine only has 7 under her, but even she has cracked one of Them, so I imagine that with 23, that would be even more likely. Good luck!

As stated 23 eggs is ALOT for one hen. She has to place her feet somewhere too. So many eggs can cause eggs to get broken----She probably broke them trying to get back in the nest. If some get broke the hen will usually clean up the "mess" the best she can so the broke eggs do not draw "critters/bugs/ants". I would not try to clean the dried yolk off. Good Luck

Ahhh, but i have read that it attracts bacteria and damages the chicks. On the other hand if you do clean the eggs it washes of the bloom (natural antiseptic). So its really confusing what to do.
Maybe i shall let nautre do its thing..

Welcome to BYC! I don't have any advice because I have my first broody sitting on eggs as well. Coincidentally, she is also on day 13, so we'll have to compare notes.
1f60a.png
Mine only has 7 under her, but even she has cracked one of Them, so I imagine that with 23, that would be even more likely. Good luck!

Oh wow!!! Nice to know someones chicks will hatch same day as mine!
Well only 21 eggs left now, i hope they make it. And i guess some hens do break their own eggs. I was a little suspicious it may have been the mice i've seen running in that room.!!
Good luck to you too, keep us posted :D

Last edited:
Quote: That probably makes a significant difference! I would imagine the ambient temperature and possibly humidity where you are is a lot higher than the majority of members on this forum are experiencing right now. If you update your profile page with that information and perhaps the nearest city, since China is such a vast country, we would be able to see at a glance where you are in the world each time you post and perhaps tailor our advice accordingly or not offer advice that is inappropriate.

Most people do as you do if they have an egg break ie wipe off the worst of it, change the nest material and hope for the best. Keep your nose on the alert for a bad smell indicating that it has compromised those eggs and remove if necessary.

Best of luck with your hatch.

Barbara

PS. When changing the nest material, I would take the opportunity to dust it with Diatomaceous Earth before you put eggs and broody back in. Broody hens are a 24/7 banquet opportunity for red mites and possibly other insects in your part of the world, so dusting it now may well help prevent things getting overrun.

Last edited:
So my hen is a few days ahead of you others. This is her and my first broody/raised chicks. I picked two Wellsummer eggs (dark brown), two Easter Egger eggs(blue), and two light brown eggs (either hers or my Production Red's) that were layed the same day. I haven't candled them or messed with them at all because momma hen is so dedicated to hatching them I don't want to disturb her. Dad is a lovely blue Ameraucauna, so I figure any of the chicks that are pullets will have blue eggs, but I'm hoping for at least one blue chick as well.

That probably makes a significant difference! I would imagine the ambient temperature and possibly humidity where you are is a lot higher than the majority of members on this forum are experiencing right now. If you update your profile page with that information and perhaps the nearest city, since China is such a vast country, we would be able to see at a glance where you are in the world each time you post and perhaps tailor our advice accordingly or not offer advice that is inappropriate.

Most people do as you do if they have an egg break ie wipe off the worst of it, change the nest material and hope for the best. Keep your nose on the alert for a bad smell indicating that it has compromised those eggs and remove if necessary.

Best of luck with your hatch.

Barbara

PS. When changing the nest material, I would take the opportunity to dust it with Diatomaceous Earth before you put eggs and broody back in. Broody hens are a 24/7 banquet opportunity for red mites and possibly other insects in your part of the world, so dusting it now may well help prevent things getting overrun.

Great piece of advice and input!
What we do here traditionally is let the broody hen bathe in dust daily. As it helps them to clean themselves naturally.
Also i've not cleaned the eggs rigorously and will try to get pictures when she gets off to feed. I was worried they may get damaged by me cleaning them.

I would not try to clean the dried yolk off.

Ahhh, but i have read that it attracts bacteria and damages the chicks. On the other hand if you do clean the eggs it washes of the bloom (natural antiseptic). So its really confusing what to do.
Maybe i shall let nautre do its thing..
Mrs Moon., in my above post I said """"""I""""" would not try to clean the dried yolk off. I did not say You better not or anything like that----LOL. You can if you want!! My post was what ""I"" would do with my experience with my 150+ broody hens in just 3 years(who knows how many in the last 50+ years), hens that have broke some eggs on occasion and they cleaned up the mess and dried yolk was left on some and that dried yolk Never affected their hatch---I know this because they hatched pretty much all the eggs under them that were fertile. I was Talking from My experience---not guessing! Good Luck

Mrs Moon., in my above post I said """"""I""""" would not try to clean the dried yolk off. I did not say You better not or anything like that----LOL. You can if you want!! My post was what ""I"" would do with my experience with my 150+ broody hens in just 3 years(who knows how many in the last 50+ years), hens that have broke some eggs on occasion  and they cleaned up the mess and dried yolk was left on some and that dried yolk Never affected their hatch---I know this because they hatched pretty much all the eggs under them that were fertile. I was Talking from My experience---not guessing! Good Luck

Oh my my! Well I feel 100% assured now that I do not need to do anything after this fabulous reply!
Thank you soo much. Hatch day next wednesday!!!

So Friday morning I found that one egg had hatched. It is now Sunday afternoon and no other eggs have hatched. Momma is still faithfully brooding the remaining eggs, meaning that first chick is still in the nest box. How long should I let her keep the remaining 4 eggs?

@Hummingbird Hollow

Hi.

Congrats on your one little chick. Were the eggs all set at the same time and have you candled them at all throughout the incubation or just left the broody to it?
Does she have food and water within reach so that she can feed the chick whilst she is still on the nest?
The yolk will sustain the chick for a couple of days but after that, the broody really needs to be showing it how to eat and drink, so you may need to encourage her to abandon those eggs if they have not hatched/or showing any signs of it within the next few hours. If you place them in a jug of warm water and see movement then there is still hope, but if they were all set at the same time and only one has hatched on Fri then it is looking like the others are not going to hatch now and the broody needs to start caring for her chick. After doing the float test and getting a negative result, carefully listen and if no sound, gently crack the round end and carefully peel the membrane. Obviously stop if there is any sign of life and put it back under the broody but my guess is that they are either infertile or have quit at some point.

Good luck

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom