First time processing a duck

Apr 1, 2021
Victoria, B.C, Canada
I played the unsexed lotto and came up 4 drakes to 1 duck. But I got them as dual purpose anyways.
Processed my first drake today. Kill went clean and smooth ( I opted for between the legs, over bucket, neck slit with spine break) obviously a heavy moment but I feel the good boy didn't suffer needlessly.
Next step, pluck. Welp I missed the mark on the molt and had lots of pin feathers to contend with. Oh did I mention it's a black feathered duck too? So after realizing this was taking a lot of time, I ice bathed him after I had the down off. Then started to work on the pin feathers occasionally rinsing down with cold water. I just plucked the breasts and fileted them off skin intact. Skined the rest of the bird and took the thighs and leg meat. And the heart and liver. Running out of time unfortunately, the rest went to the bottom of a planting hole for my new persimmon tree. Not what I had in mind for my first Drake but lessons were learned and nutrient recycling and all that.

So on to the Qs;
1) I took my 2 breasts and thighs patted them dry sprinkled with sea salt and oil added a sprig of rosemary and sage. Out in ziploc bag and put in fridge. Is this okay and will it keep for 2 nights?

2) How many small feathers can you leave attached to skin and still render the fat?

3) How do you tell when a drake is fully feathered and not starting to molt?

4) any other tips and suggestion?

Thanks ahead of time

I played the unsexed lotto and came up 4 drakes to 1 duck. But I got them as dual purpose anyways.
Processed my first drake today. Kill went clean and smooth ( I opted for between the legs, over bucket, neck slit with spine break) obviously a heavy moment but I feel the good boy didn't suffer needlessly.
Next step, pluck. Welp I missed the mark on the molt and had lots of pin feathers to contend with. Oh did I mention it's a black feathered duck too? So after realizing this was taking a lot of time, I ice bathed him after I had the down off. Then started to work on the pin feathers occasionally rinsing down with cold water. I just plucked the breasts and fileted them off skin intact. Skined the rest of the bird and took the thighs and leg meat. And the heart and liver. Running out of time unfortunately, the rest went to the bottom of a planting hole for my new persimmon tree. Not what I had in mind for my first Drake but lessons were learned and nutrient recycling and all that.

So on to the Qs;
1) I took my 2 breasts and thighs patted them dry sprinkled with sea salt and oil added a sprig of rosemary and sage. Out in ziploc bag and put in fridge. Is this okay and will it keep for 2 nights?

2) How many small feathers can you leave attached to skin and still render the fat?

3) How do you tell when a drake is fully feathered and not starting to molt?

4) any other tips and suggestion?

Thanks ahead of time
The drake that you killed was most likely a Cayuga. Did it look like this?
Cayuga Duck - Straight Run: Welp Hatchery
(not my picture)
Unfortunately if so Cayuga feathers are known to be hard to pull off. However their meat has fine quality and taste but in the future if you're looking for an easier duck to butcher I recommend pekins, khaki campbells and muscovies

Ducks all have a lot of feathers. A light color just makes eating them easier! Feel him, if you feel sharp pins, he gets a 1-week reprieve here. Feel him up again next week. I do this the day before trash day, I do not have a nice place to plant him. A good scald, with dish soap in the water is necessary. Still, some down may remain, really fastidious folks use wax to get the small feathers and down off, I just singe it off over a gas stove burner if it is too "hairy" looking. You can roast him in his skin and not do this, the fat will render out just fine. I like to eat the crispy, bacon-like duck skin so I tend to remove as many feathers as I can. Covering the roasting duck with an orange-marmalade glaze hides a lot! :drool

I got the breasts pretty good. I went with the dry pluck, partly because it was working and partly do to concerns over heating the meat up and not going fast enough afterwards to prevent spoilage. But I had heard of rough plucking then skinning and boiling the skin to render the fat. I'll look into it further. Thanks for the replies
20210601_151548.jpg

I got the breasts pretty good. I went with the dry pluck, partly because it was working and partly do to concerns over heating the meat up and not going fast enough afterwards to prevent spoilage. But I had heard of rough plucking then skinning and boiling the skin to render the fat. I'll look into it further. Thanks for the replies
View attachment 2700478
Good job for not scalding! Scalding water can't be too hot for ducks, you do not want to cook him just to pluck him! If you get it right the fuzzy down kind of rolls off. With that white bib he looks like a Swedish. I like to cook them in the crock pot, you can skim the fat off easier if you have a crock that comes out of the pot to go in the refrigerator.

Final update to cap this thread off. Pip provided a lovely meal. I kept it simple for this one and was glad I did. Everyone including my toddler who named him enjoyed the meat. Next time I would cook the legs a little slower. Thanks for all the advice and input. I have 2 more drakes in surplus that will need processing, stay tuned.
20210603_181810.jpg

Back
Top Bottom