First time raising a clutch using a broody hen!

Yes she is and very protective over the nest I walk n to the hen house and she does not like it she don't leave but just a few minutes to grab a bite and a drink and then back on them

I don't know then. I'm not the most experienced with broody hens. The only other thing I can think of- Are you sure the eggs are fertilized?

Best I can tell they are cause everyone we crack open to eat has the white strings in it. She is setting on a new batch now so I will let her sit one more time if still happens then I'm going to incubate from now on. I have noticed a few of the eggs were broke open and were pink inside so I think she did hatch some but the other hens may have ate them that has happened before too sorry forgot to mention that lol

Checked on the clutch tonight - 21 days. The hen got up to get some water and some of the eggs were moving a little. I think we'll have some chicks tomorrow or the day after!

So far so good. I have such a dedicated broody girl. It's be very hot here and although I said I'd just let mother Nature take its course I did start putting a tiny condiment container of water to her each day. Her comb is so droopy and pale that I thought it was best to at least keep her hydrated. I have not seen her off the nest once, but there was a broody poo near the feed so I believe she's been off the nest at least once.

We did have one egg kicked out of the box and another egg is completely missing (or I counted wrong to begin with) so she is sitting on 13 eggs.

Out of ten eggs, I got two 1/2 Ameraucana/ 1/2 maran chicks, and 1 black Australorp, I think the eggs weren't all fertile. I also bought 4 Ameraucanas that were a week old from the feed store, she's a happy mom.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom