First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

Pics

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
Hello, my meat-loving friends! A few months back I posted this thread because I was on the fence about keeping meat birds. I've been interested in having meat birds for a while, but I'm from the suburbs (and now live in the city) and have never killed an animal in my life. However, you all convinced me to do it. I'm excited to grow my own meat, and make sure my meat source has a great life up until that one bad moment. A few of you were interested in me sharing my journey. I've never done a thread like this where people can follow along, but I felt it might be useful for other first-timers in the future to be able to see my process and learn from my mistakes. So here goes!

My plan so far:
Monday, September 12th, I will pick up 6 straight run Cornish X from Meyer Hatchery. In that same order is a Salmon Faverolle layer, and a hatchery choice "meal maker" layer. All 8 of these chicks will start their life in the same brooder (modified dog cage - still have to put the finishing touches on it).
signal-2022-09-10-08-39-59-348.jpg

Then when the meaties are feathered out, they will move to my 6'x4' chicken tractor (also unfinished, but will have it done by then).
signal-2022-09-10-08-40-17-463.jpg
When I'm done with it, this tractor will have doors on both sides. Half of the roof will be covered with a secured tarp, and there will be a skirt around the edges, as well as trampoline stakes to keep the tractor firm to the ground. We don't have a ton of predators here in the city, but I do want it to be secure. I might add a second layer of chicken wire to the whole thing.

I intend to butcher at about 8 weeks. We will use an axe to behead the chickens, and we will hand-pluck and eviscerate.

That's it so far. If this interests you, stay tuned for more updates starting Monday (Sept. 12th)!

EDIT: Please feel free to offer up any suggestions or advice you may have! I appreciate any constructive criticism I can get on any part of my process.

Last edited:
If would put hardware cloth (small square mesh fence) around the lower portion of the sides rather than do another layer of chicken wire. Apparently racoons will reach through chicken wire sometimes and pull chickens out.
One interesting solution I saw on youtube was electrifying a small wire around the coop to help prevent digging. I'm planning on doing this myself.

If would put hardware cloth (small square mesh fence) around the lower portion of the sides rather than do another layer of chicken wire. Apparently racoons will reach through chicken wire sometimes and pull chickens out.
One interesting solution I saw on youtube was electrifying a small wire around the coop to help prevent digging. I'm planning on doing this myself.
Yeah I have heard of that but figured the birds would sleep under the part that will be fully covered. But maybe I shouldn't assume they will be that smart lol. Hardware cloth is expensive but I'll see if I can get my hands on some.

Thank you!

THEY'RE HERE!!!
signal-2022-09-12-13-52-22-904.jpg

Not all pictured but there are 7 Cornish X, 1 Salmon Faverolles, and 1 mystery black and white chick from the bin at Meyer. They told me my free "meal maker" chick would be a layer hen, but it was a Cornish! So when I saw that I grabbed an extra layer from the chick bin so the faverolle can grow up with that chick when the meaties move outside.

Everyone seems healthy so far!
signal-2022-09-12-13-56-00-283.jpg

I took weights on the first day. I don't have a way of telling the CX apart, so I just took all their weights and will average them every week.

Yesterday's weights were 42g, 54g, 44g, 52g, 43g, 46g, 40g. = Average of 45.85 grams

I used grams because they are so tiny. I'll convert this to ounces later on when I have a few weeks of data.

For comparison, the day-old Salmon Faverolles weighed in at 33 grams. The week-old mystery chick weighed in at 46 grams.

Back
Top Bottom