First time raising meat birds... Tons of questions!! who wants to be my teacher!!??

griffinchicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
we ordered 50 white broilers from Meyers Hatchery

#1 From what i have read i expect to lose some from heart attack, can those birds be processed and ate (if they are found right away, I know you can't eat one that has been laying around all day)
If yes, then how long do I have to process the bird?

#2 Can the broiler bird "free range" in a run?

# 3 Explain the 12 hr feeding plan...

I am sure I will have a lot more questions!!!

I've not lost one meat bird to heart attack - ever. If managed well, they'll do great! No, I'd not eat a dead bird, too much going on in there bacterial wise to risk it. No, I wouldn't even feed it to my dog. And if it's left for long, the risk of canibalism is high.

Yes, a broiler is a chicken. Chickens peck. That's instinct. Yes, they free-range. But as they grow, their mobility can be hindered by their size.

I feed the following: new chicks to 1wk old: feed as much as want. 1wk-2wk: feed as much as want (filling feeder at least 4x/day). 2wks-end: feed 2x/day. Some folks leave food out for 12hrs and then bring it in for the night (not water, just feed) - as I've watched CX eat in the dark! - but I found it easier to simply give feed in gradually increasing amounts based on how fast it's consumed. So, I'll fill the feeder, go take care of other farm chores - come back after a spell, if the feed is gone, add some - if not, leave it. Feed again in 3hrs same way, etc. So new chicks get a feeding at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, dark (if needed). Then, just like you would a puppy, slowly extend out the time between feedings from 3hrs to 4hrs to 5hrs to 6hrs. Then the older chicks get fed at 7am, 1pm, 7pm.

We did not lose any of ours to health issues, and I had some go to 12 weeks due to timing on getting them processed. We did free feed until 2 weeks. They went outside on the grass at that time and were fed 2x per day. I had ours in a tractor and they were moved as needed at first and then the last few weeks, 1-2 times per day, so they were on clean grass a lot. We gave ours scraps and alfalfa hay, and they got fruits and veggies from the garden. At first, I had to sprinkle feed on it but once they realized it was food, they devoured it. I gave them a vitamin mix in their water. They drink A LOT. We were watering them a few times per day. We had active happy chickens the entire time. The only time they got lazy was on hot days and then they would lay in the shade.

I did a lot of reading on here, and just followed what was working for others. :) Good luck and have fun! Be ready when they get to almost processing age, because when its feeding time, you will think they have not eaten for a week the way they behave lol They are that way early on but its not really an issue until you have 50 6-8 lb birds rushing the feeders.

I haven't lost any birds to a heart attack either. Mine are 8 weeks now and we did process on last week, because she was having some leg issues. Her legs seemed to be week for some reason. They are all right around 6 pounds. This week I started feeding them full time again, we will be processing the rest of them in the next couple of weeks, and if any of them start having problems, we will do them sooner. Two weeks ago I started letting them out with my older layer girls. They are doing fine with them. (We have 18 Cornish X and 12 layers) They seem to be more active and more interested in scraching for bugs, since they see the other girls doing it.

Trying to fly

I love raising meat chickens. It is such a rewarding experience.

#1 I would not eat one that has had a heart attack.
#2 I always let mine free range. I built a broiler tractor similar to this one.
baileyppen240.jpg
We moved it to fresh grass every day and they were very happy and healthy. I do recommend having a cover on it so that they are safe from hawks. They don't move very fast.

#3 I have a light on mine 24/7 so that they continue to eat through the night.

If you would like more info, you can read my article on raising meat chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-chickens-for-meat-tips-and-pictures

Good luck!

Last edited:
thank you for the info guys!!

Another question: I have found "flock raiser 18%" feed but not finding "broiler feed 18%" at Tractor supply is that the same? I have a feed store whom I am sure have it or get it for me. But is there a difference!

I haven't lost any birds to a heart attack either. Mine are 8 weeks now and we did process on last week, because she was having some leg issues. Her legs seemed to be week for some reason. They are all right around 6 pounds. This week I started feeding them full time again, we will be processing the rest of them in the next couple of weeks, and if any of them start having problems, we will do them sooner. Two weeks ago I started letting them out with my older layer girls. They are doing fine with them. (We have 18 Cornish X and 12 layers) They seem to be more active and more interested in scraching for bugs, since they see the other girls doing it.

Trying to fly

The amazing lizanne saved one that was trying to have heart attack...we think. Either way she saved him...He was delicious!

thank you for the info guys!!

Another question: I have found "flock raiser 18%" feed but not finding "broiler feed 18%" at Tractor supply is that the same? I have a feed store whom I am sure have it or get it for me. But is there a difference!

I use starter/grower for the first 3 weeks and starter/finisher for the last 3 weeks. They sell it at the TSC near me but I get it from my local feed mill. It is less expensive and it is a local mix so I know that it is made of good feed. Plus it supports farmers in my area.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom