First time raising meat birds... Tons of questions!! who wants to be my teacher!!??

I started with 6 X's in March, lost one, not do to heart attack. For the first four weeks I fed them starter available all the time. From 4 weeks till killin time I feed them grower. I feed them in the morning and remove all food in the evening. I am growing them slower, they will get to the size but with a less chance of dying. My last ones I fed to about 15 weeks. Hope this helps.

For 4-H, I would raise broilers for exhibition. For that you had a certain number of weeks that you had to get as much weight on your chicks as you could. For this, people would add corn oil and vegetable oil to the chicks feed to help the gain weight faster. I know that the harder you push your chicks to gain weight and grow, the more problems you are going to have. The breeds that they have developed for your typical 'broiler' are made to grow so quickly. This leads to many having leg problems because their body cannot keep up with growing. The corn oil also is associated with heard attacks. I have lost a couple chicks due to heart attacks. I would not suggest keeping a dead bird and butchering it later. Since you are not raising these birds for exhibition, then you can let them grow up and gain weight on your own time. The slower you raise your chicks, the less problems you will have in the long run.

For 4-H, I would raise broilers for exhibition. For that you had a certain number of weeks that you had to get as much weight on your chicks as you could. For this, people would add corn oil and vegetable oil to the chicks feed to help the gain weight faster. I know that the harder you push your chicks to gain weight and grow, the more problems you are going to have. The breeds that they have developed for your typical 'broiler' are made to grow so quickly. This leads to many having leg problems because their body cannot keep up with growing. The corn oil also is associated with heard attacks. I have lost a couple chicks due to heart attacks. I would not suggest keeping a dead bird and butchering it later. Since you are not raising these birds for exhibition, then you can let them grow up and gain weight on your own time. The slower you raise your chicks, the less problems you will have in the long run.

x2

Another question: I have found "flock raiser 18%" feed but not finding "broiler feed 18%" at Tractor supply is that the same? I have a feed store whom I am sure have it or get it for me. But is there a difference!
18% feed is what you're looking for. So whatever the name, it's generally similar formulations.
I've also successfully used "Turkey" feed which was 20%? (cannot remember and the bags are gone). I've often used this towards the end of their growth period.

At the beginning I fed mine Flockraiser (20% protein)
Mixed with a quail starter (28% protein) because I couldn't find a feed higher than 20% or lower than 28%. Now I just feed them the 20% and they free range.

I've also noticed that mine eat all through the night even without a light. I have a couple that sleep in the food bowl, wake up, have a couple bites, and go back to sleep.

I've also noticed that mine eat all through the night even without a light. I have a couple that sleep in the food bowl, wake up, have a couple bites, and go back to sleep.
We just left food in because we thought they didn't eat at night. I'd notice they were all crammed into the corner and thought they stayed like that, so we just left food in all night. Of course, the feeders were almost always empty in the morning, but I figured they were chowing down as soon as it got light. Hmmm......

As for the main question sometimes we start with 24% gamebird starter from TSC the first week or so and then switch to a 20% grower (Dumor at TSC or from our local feed mill) for the rest of the time. We'll start to mix in scratch grains for the last 2 weeks until we get to a 50/50 mix of feed & scratch grains.

Ours do well "free ranging" when they're introduced to it by about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks old. The same is true of scraps & treats if they're introduced to it from the beginning. They stay fairly active until the end (7-10 weeks) and most of them love rushing outside each morning when the door is opened.

ok my friends I have had my chicks for a week and lost two the first 48 hours thought the death was over cleaned the brooder yesterday, went out today found two more dead and another one in knocking on deaths door!!! what is going on!! that would be 5 in a week!!!
I have a large brooder (4'x3') with two lamps on the ends, and ample food and water! the chicks are just 1 week and a few days

the whole middle is open for them to reach cool spaces, but they all stay under one lamp (it snowed here yesterday) and i am not sure if they are eating the bedding

Back
Top Bottom