First time Silver pheasant breeding questions

kgardiner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 12, 2011
North Port, FL
I have a couple of hens that just started laying. I have read here they most likely will not set on their own eggs. I see many folks say they lay all over the pen and the only way is to collect them and incubate. I am curious - they are laying all their eggs (except one) in a 'nest' they have made. Ten eggs not including the one kicked to the side. Can this be a sign one of the hens may actually decide to set? They started laying the eggs about a week ago and I just don't want to lose them. I figured if they would set on them, it would be nice to let them do it the old fashion way.. :) However, I do not want to wait too long.

Any advice??

Thanks in advance

I have a couple of hens that just started laying. I have read here they most likely will not set on their own eggs. I see many folks say they lay all over the pen and the only way is to collect them and incubate. I am curious - they are laying all their eggs (except one) in a 'nest' they have made. Ten eggs not including the one kicked to the side. Can this be a sign one of the hens may actually decide to set? They started laying the eggs about a week ago and I just don't want to lose them. I figured if they would set on them, it would be nice to let them do it the old fashion way.. :) However, I do not want to wait too long.

Any advice??

Thanks in advance
Eggs viability drops after 15 days.They lay every other day so I would incubate them if they don't set in the next day or 2.If you can get some wood or plastic eggs to leave in the nest,they may decide to set.It's always nice to have your birds set on their own eggs,they seem to hatch much better,but the chicks don't like to stick around even when mother calls them they disappear.They lay 4-6 eggs perclutch,so if they are going to set,they should do it shortly.
In N.H.,Tony.

Ok, thanks Tony.. I'm discouraged because I had a broody chicken last week and she got over it after I kept kicking her off the nest.. She could have done the job I understand. I will pull the eggs if she doesn't set here in a couple. Will they continue to lay if I remove the eggs?

Ok, thanks Tony.. I'm discouraged because I had a broody chicken last week and she got over it after I kept kicking her off the nest.. She could have done the job I understand. I will pull the eggs if she doesn't set here in a couple. Will they continue to lay if I remove the eggs?
Yes,chickens are much better parents then pheasants.I prefer my pheasants to set as I don't keep any chickens.My hens do a good job of setting on their eggs,but I don't trust them to raise the chicks.As soon as they hatch I pull the chicks and brood them myself.Luckily all but my impeyans set so incubation is limited to just them.
They should continue to lay a while if you pull their eggs,3 clutches should be no problem for them,but I would suggest you let them try to set on their own.I don't believe in hatching every eggs they lay,just one of my preferences.
In N.H.,Tony.

Ok, again thanks Tony. I will give them a couple more days for them to decide to set themselves.. I'm keepnig my fingers crossed!

I had a silver hen that decided to set a couple years ago, and I gave her some ringneck eggs, as I had been incubating the silvers and it was getting later in the season I think, and I thought I'd see what she would do with those... She acted like she would be a good setter, aggressive of her nest etc.

She sat for a little while, then quit and ate the eggs.
barnie.gif

I had a silver hen that decided to set a couple years ago, and I gave her some ringneck eggs, as I had been incubating the silvers and it was getting later in the season I think, and I thought I'd see what she would do with those... She acted like she would be a good setter, aggressive of her nest etc.

She sat for a little while, then quit and ate the eggs.
barnie.gif
the same thing happened with my reeves pheasants
barnie.gif

Yea, I'm giving them til the end of the day to set.. They laid an egg in the run today.. I don't think they are going to set.
Time to give incubating a shot I guess!

Back
Top Bottom