First time with baby chicks.

winkyfaye

Chirping
Feb 8, 2016
Robbinsville, NC
I just picked up 6 baby chicks (the Whittles). I have them in a tote in the shower with a light. How often should I check on them. I am afraid they will not get enough rest if I wake them every 1/2 hour or so sliding the shower door open to see if they are okay. Any advice with be greatly appreciated. They are eating and I have seen some of them drinking. I did give each a few drops of electrolytes and probiotic as soon as we got home. It was about a 45 minute drive. Thanks again for any help.

You can check on them as often as you like. They will have plenty of rest. You should change their water every few hours if possible. Sounds like you are off to a great start! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks Sienatiger. I am very nervous. Don't think I will be getting much sleep tonight. I did read awhile back that when you get new babies do not plan on leaving the house for a couple of weeks, so I guess it is safe to sleep.

Yes, you can go to sleep. You can even leave the house for extended periods. They will be fine. Newly hatched chicks will sleep a lot. As long as you don't hear any distressed peeping (you will know it when you hear it) there is nothing to worry about.

Thanks Keesmom. I worry with those little lives in my hands. I raised some baby ducks many, many years. Got them at the feed store on the spur of the moment. I don't remember being this worried and they did fine. :)

Chicks are hardier than people give them credit for being. As long as they have sufficient heat (but not too much), food and water all will be well. If you happen to lose one it would be from a genetic defect or failure to thrive, and something you could not have prevented no matter what you did.

The "whittles" are 7 days old and I would like to find out if they are old enough to change to sand bedding. Do I just change all at once or is there a better way. What do I need to watch for to make sure things age going okay?

I don't know what the problem might be in putting chicks of any age on sand. I installed my chicks in a sand chick pen in my run when they were one day old. The first thing they did was to gobble down lots of grains of sand. They weren't interested in food yet, but drank plenty of water. I didn't worry about it.

The next day, figuring they had plenty of grit on board, I gave them their first meal worms. They were very interested in those.

By day three, they finally became just as interested in eating their fermented chick feed as they had been the first day about eating sand.

They are now eleven days old and doing splendidly.

I have read everything I can find regarding sand vs other bedding and I am sooooo confused. I have been using straw in my temporary housing for the adult hens be bought in January. Everyone says to compost it. I have been putting the old straw in a pile and added scraps to it. My problem is as fast I put scraps out the wildlife eat them and the straw does not seems to be doing anything. You can see where the opossum etc have rooted around in it but that is all. I am trying to figure out what to use for the new "whittles" and in the finished coop. Just when I think well, looks like I should use one thing I read negative things and then again do not know what to do. I sure do not want to use something that will cause harm to my critters. I do thank you for you input and I will keep reading.

Back
Top Bottom