First timers hatching eggs with a broody. Lots of questions

i am hatching standard white cochins on Friday, (broody hen) and have a few questions. she is on the floor, but in my main coop, will the other chickens bother her once the chicks hatch? and how do the chicks get food and water? i do have a pretty large dog kennel i could use, just like marlinchaser, but if i move her and the chicks, will she still care for them? any help much appreciated, colton:)

She will be fine raising them if the other hen wont attack the babies. If she does, either raise them yourself, or move the other hen or the mom and chicks to another pen. In my opinion I would put the box closer to the ground so they can get back in, and I would be worried they would break themselves.
sad.png
But that's just me. Also if your worried about the height thing check first to see if the broody is OK with having her nest moved. If she does have a problem put the box back.

Yes isn't that a great article!! I loved it and bookmarked it. Bantygirl, I think we are going to block the nest in until everyone is hatched and then move her down lower. I don't like the idea of them being up so high. Hubby said he could put a little railing along the front of the nexting box entry and down the egde of the ramp. We are going to brainstorm tonight when he gets home from work. I don't want to move the nest now since I would have to move her and the eggs out of the nest and into a new one and I am afraid to disturb her and the eggs at this late date. I'm so excited to see these little ones! Yippee!! A happy time on the farm this weekend instead of sad. Hopefully there will be a new foal too. Yeehaw!!

We had the same dilemma and ended up leaving mama in the nesting box until all the babies were hatched. We did put up a little barricade after one of the babies fell out. On day 22, we moved everyone (including the 3 unhatched eggs just in case) to the floor of the coop. Hen still sat on them for another day, then we tossed them. We have 5 other hens and none caused a real problem, but we did see a few scuffles where mama had to give them (and our schnauzer) "what for" for getting too close. She kept the babies inside for a few days, then started taking them out. We did have 3 days of anxiety when it was time for her to take them in for the night and a couple just couldn't figure out how to get back in. We helped guide them in and from then on it's been great!! They are 6 weeks old today and mama just started laying again. They still gather around her some, but appear to be pretty independent now. Have fun. It's pretty amazing to watch. And BTW - they aren't much less friendly than our human raised chicks. I think they learned to somewhat trust us from mama hen.

Oh great news!! Thank you so much! That is what we are planning on doing. Hubby made a little grid door to go in front of her nest tonight since tomorrow is day 20. She can see out, get air and everything but chicks can't fall out. I can also move it if I have to get shells out for her or something. I am so excited. I can't wait!! Then we will move her to the floor later on. I think the other hen will leave them alone. She free ranges all day anyways. I'll keep you all updated!!

Back
Top Bottom