First Timers Having Issues

On the bird that flipped, if he thrashed when he was dying, he could have popped the bone out of his wing. One of the reasons I like my killing cone is it restrains the wings so that kind of injury doesn't happen. CX's seem to have fragile joints that pop out more easily than dual purpose birds do.

On the one with the leg injury, I would kill it now. It is unlikely that it will be able to heal because they get so big so fast that their legs have trouble keeping up without injuries. 4 weeks is the age they process Cornish Game Hens, so it will be small, but usable.

Too bad your neighbors are having so much trouble. If they aren't already, you might want to recommend feeding 12 hours on/12 hours off to see if slowing down the growth will help.

Ok we straight now back to the task at hand. I have had meat birds for a very very short period of time and if I remember right realistically nothing can really be done once their that far gone I really think it needs to be culled. I know your emotions are involved but you need to make rational decisions and mark it up as an unnecessary learning experience and help your neighbor do better next time

Yes, they are, and I know that's rapidly becoming the issue. When they were about 2 weeks old I said they should probably start limiting their food consumption, but unfortunately that went by the wayside, I know they're busy people so it's not like I can blame them for forgetting. I don't like Dumor because I feel it's just cheaply processed food with mostly corn and little nutrition...my girls were doing terrible on it, that's why I was initially worried about the cornish since it seems like they react very badly if something isn't right...

Restricting feed should help, but I 2nd (3rd) that the one with bad legs should be processed early. I let one linger on for 3 days before processing, that couldn't walk. He would eat and drink when I put it in front of him, but he wouldn't put weight on his legs.

Back
Top Bottom