First turkeys... total newb!

geojane42

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
So 5 turkey hens just kind of fell out of the sky so I thought I'd see if I could fatten them up in time for Christmas. They're only 8-10lbs now. What's the best way to get some weight on these girls in the next few weeks? Also, I need to decide if I'm going to keep them with the chickens in the cozy coop or if I should just stick them outside in the tractor. It isn't very cold here... just wet and miserable. I can cover the tractor so they stay dry. Whaddya think?

Here in South Ga. My turkeys and a other people here who have them, the turkeys tend to prefer uncovered roost for some reason even when they have a sheltered roost. But we dont get really cold winters here so it may be different in your case. If you can find a bread store that sells big bags of older bread in bulk, that is a good way to fill the birds out a little.

They should do fine outside. They seem to prefer it. High protein feed is probably your best bet to get the weight on fastest. Depending on what kind of turkey they are, though, 10 pounds might be pretty good.

I would cover them to get out of the rain and wet either way. They will make a mud hole is you don't. The best way to put weight on them is high protien feed. I don't know how much they will gain in 3 weeks - if they are heritage not much but if broad breasted type they would gain quite a bit.

Steve

Last week I bought 2 BBW toms that weighed around 18 lbs give or take, I could easily pick them up to move them to the pen. I had them in with some chickens, and it didn't seem that they were eating much, so today, I made a pen just for them so they could eat all they want, and I almost couldn't pick up one of them! He must have gained 5 lbs in one week! They are probably 4 months old, I'm guessing here, since I"m new to turkeys. I was feeding them whole oats mixed with some 15% chick grower.

Sue

Back
Top Bottom