First week with my new chickens

He is and I meant to take a picture today but he won't let me get close enough...also he brought a friend with him...she is a very pretty young Rhode Island Red I think...I picked up my other four hens today also...so six total for right now...and they were very glad to see their two friends that I got on Sunday...was very excited to see three beautiful eggs today...was a little surprised since I just picked the girls up...the two runaways coaxed one of my birds out from a spot in the wire that wasn't to the ground...hadn't noticed it before...fixed that with a 6x6 that I put in front and stapled the wire to it...very friendly birds only took me about 3 min to catch her...well actually my wife caught her and then she got scared cause she was holding a chicken...lol...was her first time...she did very well...and my day ends...

Here is a few pics of the stranger rooster...hopefully these will help... I'm really interested to know...

Looks like you now have a rooster too ... adopted your family ... lol. He is cute though and maybe he will alert you to any predators that come around. If he came to call on your two ladies, probably six is going to encourage him to stay. Nice your hens are so people friendly and easy to catch.

We've got 4 hens and a rooster and really like them, production reds, sold as "RIR" but don't care ... really love having them and enjoy the eggs and all the antics they do.

He likes to hang around for awhile in the morning and wanders off throughout the day...him and his other lady friend like to hang around during treat time too just before bed...and then they wander off to somewhere...I may catch them at some point check em for lice and then add them to gen pop...but for right now I'm enjoying my 6 girls...so far I've been given 18 eggs from last Monday to today...5 Monday to wed and the 13 from Thursday to today...exciting first week! My daughter even picked one up today, she was very excited!

Sounds like you've got some egg layers for sure ... nice, isn't it. Are all your chickens the same kind?

Just looked at that little free ranging rooster again, and I don't think he's a RIR but I don't know what he is. If you ever want to know you can take his picture and post a thread asking and there is a lot of knowledgeable people on this website that can tell you. I wonder if at some point he and the hen will bring new chicks to eat; might have a nest somewhere.

I'm sure he's not but I think his friend that accompanies him is...she's not very big yet but I've seen her growing...she was really little the first time I saw her now she's about 3/4 the size of my hens...but then, maybe she'll just turn out to be a meat chicken...I guess I'll know if she falls over...;) lol

Didn't realize I hadn't yet...

That's five of them...the black is still in the coop...suppose she wanted to sleep in...lol

Here is a pic of the rir that's been hanging around as well

Back
Top Bottom